Stuck clutch disc

rallyrat

Working on a ‘22 Paige that has been stored for the last twenty years. 

While the engine runs fine, I can’t get the disc to release from the flywheel. 

The cltch sits in a recess, so access is virtually impossible. 

Other than just driving it and applying brakes in gear, any other tricks?

thanks

ken

Would suggest opening the shed door. Many years ago my Dad tried this with an Auburn 8. Winter time, door down, pipe on exhaust, brake set.

He didn't realize the dog was worn on the brake lever and when he got it in gear the car lurched forward, and through the door.

Came to a stop  across the alley against the neighbors garage with our garage door very nicely resting on top of it.

I was about 13 and it was the funniest thing I ever saw, my Dad was not amused.

• Haha 1

Easiest way is to let the car idle for an hour or two.......it takes that long for heat to transfer from the engine and into the flywheel and clutch. When the trans temperature gets up to the same as the crankcase the clutch will most often release. If not, after it’s fully warm, pop start it and drive it around the block with the clutch down. I have done this many times, and it worked every time. 

• Like 1

Ed its correct:  Get it someplace where you can drive for a distance without any traffic around you - then push start it and go for a drive  (only had one never free up  -1932 President Studebaker 4 Season Roadster - it had to come apart).  Also, you can cut a piece of wood to depress clutch over winter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2018 at 8:11 AM, Alfre said:

Warm up engine lock brakes and yank shift into high gear with engine idling do not use a lower gear, should stall engine if clutch does not release.

Al 

I have a stuck clutch on a Corvette, been messing with the thing for a year. I have not tried this, and also "opening shed door"?  Priceless!!