47 Fleetmaster Horn Ground issue

Rusty18

I have a Fleetmaster that, when turning the wheel, will sound the horn. I assume it is a grounding issue. 

I know my way around a car OK, but I do not know where the grounding issue location would be, and how to disassemble to repair. (column, wheel..etc.?)

If anyone can provide any info, description, instruction, links to videos...etc., I would appreciate it.

Have been trying to research but not finding too much online.

Thanks

Most likely the wire in the column is frayed and shorts when the wheel is turned.  Really quite a simple thing to fix.

There is a wire that runs down the inside of the steering column and comes out the bottom of the steering box. This is the horn wire. It connects to the horn button, when the horn button grounds it out the horn blows. So if the wire grounds anywhere, the horn blows.

You could inspect the wire at the bottom and if it is frayed tape it up. If you have to replace the wire, you will need to take the horn button off pull out the wire and put in a new one. The easy way is to attach the new one at the bottom and pull it up at the same time you pull out the old one. There is a connector at the bottom of the steering box.

• Like 1

Hey Thanks for the tips it is really helping me out. So I checked where the wire goes into the column (located in the engine compartment). It is not frayed it all looks great. 

Now when I turn the wheel to the left thats when the horn goes off. I noticed if I pull on the horn ring on the right side of the wheel , the horn will go off. So the problem must be at the wheel. Either a loose , frayed or incorrectly installed wire. Maybe it will be apparent when I take the horn button off. I havent been in one yet. Next question. How does the horn button come off so I can access the wires. The car is restored I would hate to start prying at it and crack or break something. Thanks !!!

Dave good call ! I tracked down page 229 and yes I see what you are talking about. Also under the horn/steering wheel button there are 2 tension screws for the horn ring. Nowhere does it say how to remove the button, I assume maybe it just gets pryed off. Will have to take a closet look at that to see if there are screws on the back side of the wheel holding it on. But aside from that I will try these things.....they may just do the trick. Thanks !!!!!!!