Carb and Vaporizer Question

Timmy R

Hi all, I bought my first 1927 Franklin 11B in December, joined the  Franklin Club and now it's warm enough in NJ to try to get it running.  Compression is good 45-50psi across all cylinders, all have spark and I'm down to the OE2 carb which I'm pretty sure is the culprit.  Seems the guy before me got a rebuilt one because it looks new, but it doesn't have the Franklin vaporizer attachment.  My question is how important is the vaporizer for start-up and do I need to change it out to an OE2 carb built with a vaporizer as it looks like it would not bolt right up to this one, picture attached.  I've tried Jon Hardgrove at the Carburetor shop, but he e-mailed me back this past Sunday and said he doesn't have one.  I've been primarily a 60's car guy my whole life, but I am fascinated with the look and engineering of this car.  Any ideas/insight will help.  Thanks! Tim

1927 Franklin Fuel System 3.jpg

1927 Franklin Fuel System 4.jpg

Thanks guys, was hoping that would be the answer.  This weekend I'll try a mini stand-alone gas tank to take the vacuum tank out of the equation and if needed afterwards, the dreaded carb settings, carbs always seem to be my nemesis....  Hi 29 Franklin, were practically neighbors!  I'm in Clarksburg, a part of Millstone Twp about 5 mins from Great Adventure.  Exit 98, then 195 to exit 16.  If interested in getting together to compare notes, please let me know.  Happy to come to you or you to me, personal e-mail: timothy.ryan19@verizon.net

Sounds good.  Actually, I bought on ebay and had it shipped from Arizona before the holidays.  Guy I bought it from said he also had a later Franklin Limo which he was keeping.  BTW, late last night before messing with the vacuum tank and the carb, I decided to replace the battery with the biggest 6V I could fit.  She cranked twice as fast and one spray of starter fluid kicked off and started idling on it's own.  Made my night, now a driving test for the weekend!  :)   

image.png.3942aeb8e48edd0a3a3bc1f8fa950422.png