1941 Zephyr v12 Will Not Start

harrishcrew

Have a 1941 Zephyr v12. Have installed new plugs, new fuel pump, rebuilt carb. I have poured gas in carb and I am getting fire. This is the first v12 I have worked on. Will not start. What am I doing wrong, or what did I forget to do.

You say you are getting fire.  Does that mean that the engine is firing once in a while?  Is it a new rebuilt engine or one that you are waking up?  I would certainly check your valve timing and if any valves are sticky.  You should provide us with a little more information.  Do you have good compression?

Motor was rebuilt 7 yrs ago. Car has been stored for the past 5 years in a bubble inside a building. They had drained all the fluids out of motor. Have not checked compression yet, but car is firing every time. Going to check compression in the morning 

Fire triangle. Ignition, air and fuel. Need all three. If the spark timing is off, then there is no ignition. If the air cleaner is plugged, there is no air. Is the fuel fresh? That has caused me hours of troubleshooting ONCE.?

The car was running after the rebuild. I am going to check compression on it tomorrow. Don't know if I told y'all he had drained all fluids out of it while it was stored for 5 years. I'm starting to think the valves are stuck. Will report back after I do a compression check. Don't want to look dumb but have never worked on a V12

Some Ford products are notoriously cold natured...be very generous with gas when priming...

Bought a worn Edsel station wagon once for $100 'cuz it wouldn't start...put a fresh battery in, checked everything, should've ran, but wouldn't...finally dumped a tin can of gas into carb, trying to blow it up...@*!#! thing fired right up...

I have never had a stored vehicle not start and run with new gas and a good battery.  Who knows what you changed might be causing your problem.  I never replace anything unless I can prove that it is defective.  There is no guarantee that a new or rebuilt part is correct or works properly.

IMHO one should get the engine/vehicle running before taking things off and changing settings.  Maybe the existing parts were correct and set right and now who knows what or how many things are wrong.

• 1 month later...

had a 4 cylinder plymouth rebuilt in the 70s     used a after market cam gear     could not get it to run correctly     checked EVERYTHING------finely took the cover which opens up the tappets and rotated the motor and looked at the valve activity-------------------------------after months of playing around the cam gear was defective        the motor was out of time by quarter of a turn