Well, she finally fired.  Cut loose the exhaust pipes opened the rusty heat riser and oiled the cylinders.  Started almost instantly.   Idled, but couldn't keep it running, I think the fuel pumps bad, had it sucking out of a gas can.   Hurry for small victories!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2018 at 8:25 PM, Scott Mckenzie said:

It only gets better from here!

You mean like this?  Water pump was frozen, so I took it out.  Then I thought "I should have that radiator cleaned out".  Next, the a.c. condensor was exposed so I decided to have that cleaned out as well.  Then, I had so much room I thought "I bet that timing chain is original".  Yep, timing cover off (timing chain is original and sloppy - nylon gears).  Snowballs in the summer! The good news is my clamshell motor will be a breeze to reinstall.....

0514180759.jpg

0514180759a.jpg

Edited by Garysriv (see edit history)
  • Like 1

OK Gary........might as well  pull the frame out of the car while you are  at it...........it's only 10 bolts!

Ever notice how old cars are a snowball  rolling down a steep mountain? I smell a frame off restoration in the works.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

OK Gary........might as well  pull the frame out of the car while you are  at it...........it's only 10 bolts!

Ever notice how old cars are a snowball  rolling down a steep mountain? I smell a frame off restoration in the works.

Haha, noooooo!!!!  Just finished one of those.  Hoping to get away easy on this one.  Well, relatively easy.

Gary, that pass. side rocker arm area looks awfully clean. Your work or was it that way?

Steve

On 5/16/2018 at 7:53 PM, slosteve said:

Gary, that pass. side rocker arm area looks awfully clean. Your work or was it that way?

Steve

I had taken it off because I thought I may have had a stuck valve.  While I had it off I cleaned it up.  I just took it off again and took a bunch of stuff to have it hot tanked.

So, a lot of stuff going down.  I have an early car so I did the double relay upgrade (thanks tom n seafoam65).  Video attached.  Had the radiator recored with 35% more tubes, power brake booster being rebuilt, freshening up the engine compartment, gas tank cleaned out.  Having fun!

I also have to relate this.  I found a good old fashioned radiator shop to do the radiator.  I had checked the cost to just buy an aluminum one, about 300.  Took my original to this guy n he says "riviera?  Damn good car, last one of these I quoted, guy just put in a damn aluminum POS".  I just paid the $600.....

0524181750.jpg