Its alive....

Garysriv

Well, she finally fired.  Cut loose the exhaust pipes opened the rusty heat riser and oiled the cylinders.  Started almost instantly.   Idled, but couldn't keep it running, I think the fuel pumps bad, had it sucking out of a gas can.   Hurry for small victories!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2018 at 8:25 PM, Scott Mckenzie said:

It only gets better from here!

You mean like this?  Water pump was frozen, so I took it out.  Then I thought "I should have that radiator cleaned out".  Next, the a.c. condensor was exposed so I decided to have that cleaned out as well.  Then, I had so much room I thought "I bet that timing chain is original".  Yep, timing cover off (timing chain is original and sloppy - nylon gears).  Snowballs in the summer! The good news is my clamshell motor will be a breeze to reinstall.....

0514180759.jpg

0514180759a.jpg

Edited by Garysriv (see edit history)
  • Like 1

OK Gary........might as well  pull the frame out of the car while you are  at it...........it's only 10 bolts!

Ever notice how old cars are a snowball  rolling down a steep mountain? I smell a frame off restoration in the works.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

OK Gary........might as well  pull the frame out of the car while you are  at it...........it's only 10 bolts!

Ever notice how old cars are a snowball  rolling down a steep mountain? I smell a frame off restoration in the works.

Haha, noooooo!!!!  Just finished one of those.  Hoping to get away easy on this one.  Well, relatively easy.

On 5/16/2018 at 7:53 PM, slosteve said:

Gary, that pass. side rocker arm area looks awfully clean. Your work or was it that way?

Steve

I had taken it off because I thought I may have had a stuck valve.  While I had it off I cleaned it up.  I just took it off again and took a bunch of stuff to have it hot tanked.

So, a lot of stuff going down.  I have an early car so I did the double relay upgrade (thanks tom n seafoam65).  Video attached.  Had the radiator recored with 35% more tubes, power brake booster being rebuilt, freshening up the engine compartment, gas tank cleaned out.  Having fun!

I also have to relate this.  I found a good old fashioned radiator shop to do the radiator.  I had checked the cost to just buy an aluminum one, about 300.  Took my original to this guy n he says "riviera?  Damn good car, last one of these I quoted, guy just put in a damn aluminum POS".  I just paid the $600.....

0524181750.jpg

Deconstruction gets deeper.  I thought the blower motor sounded funny so I took it out.  Habitrail!  Entire innards were mouse home, packed with down, including a dead mouse on the blower cage, how ironic, like a gerbil wheel...anyway took it all apart to clean out.  By the way, in the pic below of the intake manifold, what is the purpose of the big hole?  Supposed to be left open like that?0531181244.jpg.b8e66a4f03f053353b40c19675f89021.jpg

0531181244a.jpg

0531180935.jpg

NO. Supposed to be a thick freeze out plug in there.  With it open you will have a noisy/loud exhaust leak. IF the guy who hot tanked it knocked it out have him try to find that SPECIAL thick plug.  I don't believe they are available any longer.  Maybe another member has a source???

45 minutes ago, telriv said:

NO. Supposed to be a thick freeze out plug in there.  With it open you will have a noisy/loud exhaust leak. IF the guy who hot tanked it knocked it out have him try to find that SPECIAL thick plug.  I don't believe they are available any longer.  Maybe another member has a source???

Uh oh......I hope so....

34 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Make sure you torque the harmonic balancer bolt to 235 foot lbs., and make sure the washer is under the head on the bolt. We've had much chaos

on the forum regarding this.

That's gonna take a breaker bar, I think my torque wrench maxes at 150....

1 hour ago, telriv said:

Found one.  $10.  

1 hour ago, Garysriv said:

That's gonna take a breaker bar, I think my torque wrench maxes at 150....

One of your local "borrow a tool" parts jobber should have one that will meet and exceed what you now have.  In my neighborhood, it the O'Reilly Auto parts store.  Now the problem will be holding the crank/balancer while you torque the bolt. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RivNut said:

One of your local "borrow a tool" parts jobber should have one that will meet and exceed what you now have.  In my neighborhood, it the O'Reilly Auto parts store.  Now the problem will be holding the crank/balancer while you torque the bolt. 

Piston stop tool in the spark plug hole.  I use 2 to balance the load to both sides.

1 minute ago, Seafoam65 said:

Nice progress Gary!

Actually happiest with the heat/cool ductwork.  Cleaned it out, both the internal door springs were broken, vacuum actuators tested, 1 was bad, will have to replace.  Came up with an extra hose, turns out it was for the vacuum canister for the trunk release!