Molded vs. Woven Clutch Lining

Akstraw

I got a quote on re-lining the plates on the (dry) multi-disk clutch for my '22 Marmon.  The supplier quoted the original type molded linings, as well as a woven type lining.  The woven would cost about a third less.  My question is:  Are there technical reasons to select one over the other?

Andrew

Edited by Akstraw
grammar correction (see edit history)

The woven MIGHT be more grabby and although I have no experience,  the clutch may chatter more. On the Model T Ford aftermarket discs and bands were provided with different facings. I guess A Marmon expert is out there but I haven't met him yet. How much price difference is there?

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

Here is my experience with 1925 Buicks.  The multidisc clutches originally came with 7/8" wide woven material (asbestos, cotton, and brass?), bent into a circle and held with 2 brass staples at the seam.  The failure is at this seam area, as the ends of the friction lining has a rivet on each end, but not as much support since the circle is not uniform.  Shown are photos of my disc, and my friends.  Much of the lining materiaI ended up in the starter gear mechanism.  I plan to use a composite disc that is uniform all the way around.     Hugh

IMG_3889.JPG.77b87249c409187037da119f0c5aee87.JPG1941808620_frictionfailure1.jpg.3f908b488901ad928a2d0873decac720.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew, 

So I am having new clutch friction discs made for the Buick and the friction person told me that today when they talk about woven clutch material, it is now made as a mat and is a finer weave than the old days.  It is not in 7/8" wide webbing and bent into a circle.  So the new woven material does not make a seam where the 2 ends meet, which is where the linings fail.  It also comes in 2 thicknesses 5/32 and 3/16" so you need to decide what works in your clutch pack stack up.    

Thanks for your replies.  I spoke with the shop today about the pro's and con's of each.  One downside of the molded linings is that they can chip.  The woven material that we will go with will be cut from sheet, so won't have the potential seam issue as Hubert has shown.  I decided to go with the modern woven material.

• Like 1