Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel

Wildcat 65's 1968 obsession...GS400

Greetings good people!  I think I will drive a 68 to Denver to help celebrate the 50th anniversary of that model year.  My first car was a 68 Skylark convertible that I fixed up when I was 16.  Now there are 3 68's in and around my garage.  

1 is the GS400 coupe,  featuring Arctic White, Black vinyl top and Black vinyl bench seat interior.  Automatic transmission, column shift, 2.93:1 posi.   There was a guy named David Roth that seemed to find, fix and resell 68 and 69 GS400 cars, and this was one he did.  He had sold it to a guy in Minnesota named Chris, who wanted to have a car to modify.  He could not bring himself to do this deed to this car, so he sold it to me.  I think it was the standard hubcaps in the glamour picture from David Roth that "got me",  it just looked perfect with those hubcaps.

mynew68.jpg

Of course the first thing I did wa to try out various wheel and tire configurations :).  Torque Thrusts, then DG disc brake wheels, then dog dish hubcaps,  then the ubiquitous 15" road wheels that were available...with BFG blackwall out!  

DSC00052-1.jpg

DSC00029-1.jpg

DSC00172-1.jpg

I've been running that way since 2012 whe I drove the car to Charlotte for the BCA National Show there, where it took Silver.  Not bad for a great driver car!

• Like 4

I gotta say that I really like the full wheel covers.  Although they clearly don't match the "muscle" of the GS400, they do look right!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'll disagree with Doug.  The Buick Road wheels are beautiful, including, and especially because of, the blackwall tires. ;)

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

especially because of, the blackwall tires. ;)

I thought you said you were warming up to white walls!  Either way, I think the car looks great with any of the combinations... I definitely prefer the Buick chrome wheels to the Torque Thrusts though. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dmfconsult said:

I thought you said you were warming up to white walls!  

I was till this. 

0506180832.jpg.e278969c7a54751cd929f4ad2d2a9790.jpg

I washed them with the go-jo hand cleaner but did not rinse them adequately. It was a temporary situation but embarassing. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1