3800 Series II Supercharger Heads and Intake - Will it fit?

ChrisWhewell

The short answer would be no, at least not without a ton of work. I think the bolt pattern is the same, but the order of the valves in the head is different. The Series I engines and earlier have an approx. 9.5" deck height, the Series II is 8.5", so the heads sit closer together, making the Series II intake manifold/supercharger narrower. Best bet would be to swap the entire Series II in.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChrisWhewell said:

Question is, will this fit on my '90 , or are there engine block mis-match issues with Series II heads ? I would run low boost, maybe 6-7 psi. thanks !!   https://houston.craigslist.org/pts/d/buick-vseries-ii-supercharger/6566162635.html

No they will not fit. All the bolt paterns and passages will not match up.

If you really want to supercharge you motor, I have everything you need to do it, with the exception of a power steering bracket (from 91-95 SC engines).

It includes heads, intake, supercharger, alternator, internals, and arp rod bolts. The internals only had 15k when I pulled the engine to move to the series three. I was going to send it to a friend but he sold his reatta. 

I'm seriously considering it, I've driven supercharged Riv's the past 18 years, a little more guts in the Reatta would be great. But I don't want a lot of down time, I'd need it to be a fairly easy path, plug and play to the maximum amount permissible. Bolt on would be great. I'd pull the Series II and 4t65E out of the Riv and drop it in the Reat if not for computer box, trans control module, etc. I don't want to do extensive mods. If the BS / benefit ratio is too low, I'm out, I don't want to be a pioneer, I'm happy following the footsteps of others on this one. All I'm after is about a 50 ft lb. increase in Tq, and don't want to shatter the stock trans. I had a weak moment seeing that craiglist ad, a fantasy thought I could just bolt on a SC and be done with it. Maybe all I need for my goal is to get some old "pre-series I" heads and rework them and clear the rear manifold of its obstruction. I"m only looking for another 50 ft. lbs.

Daniel would know, he has been the pioneer for this swap for some time. The 94/95 s/c conversion would be the latest that would bolt on, and would require some small mods to the existing heads or use the heads from the donor of the s/c. There is other associated hardware and mounts on the front of the engine that would need to be swapped as well, detailed by Daniel.

I went a different path. I bought a used 1988 engine took it to a machine shop and had it redone using 9.0 compression pistons. With the different cam and pistons picked up about 30-35 HP. Doesn't sound like much but it is quicker and won't blow out the tranny. Also gets me about 200,000 miles more service which is just about right for a 62 year old man.

• Haha 1