Medd448

Hydra-Matic won’t shift

In my ‘52 Cadillac, Hydra-Matic, I have a problem getting it to shift. The fact is it won’t shift. I just replaced the valve body and I’m suspicious that it may have been dirty even though it appeared very clean. It reverses fine and takes off without slipping. I took it apart and found that the T.V. couldn’t go in all the way because the piston inside was stuck. The bands were also just adjusted. But I can’t get it to shift into second. I get up to 15-20mph and the governor won’t let it go faster and it doesn’t shift. I’ve driven it with the T.V. rod connected and disconnected and still the same situation. Before I changed the control panel it didn’t have a T.V. rod and shifted 1-4. I had to replace it because the rod lever had snapped and wasn’t applying pressure to the T.V. I don’t know what else to try and really don’t want to have to take the transmission out and rebuild it just yet. 

I appreciate any help. And please don’t say the transmission is trashed like I have seen in every transmission thread I’ve read. Thanks!

I cleaned the filter and the sludge from the bottom of the pan. I have cleaned the control body and the governor. I have blown out all the lines under the control body. What else can I do? Everyone on these forums loves the idea of rebuilding everything but what would that actually do? What makes that different from isolating the problem and repairing the specific item? 

I cleaned the control valve body and now it shifts to second gear. Will not shift to third gear though. I'm assuming that is linkage that has to be adjusted. I can feel it clearly shift into second gear.