Is this VW Super Beetle worth restoring?

Hello I’m new to restoring cars and have relatively no experience at all at fixing cars  but I want to take on this vw restoration. I want other experienced people’s opinions on what I should do. I know I won’t be able to do everything on my own as far as the wiring if needed and new floor pans but this is my dream car and I am also using this restoration for mechanical knowledge too. This 1977 VW Super Beetle has a lot of rust but not that much under the car it’s mostly surface rust. I just need someone more experienced opinion so I attached some photos he is also asking 600$ for it.

9B7754E0-2C2A-4D73-BBC5-96069DF6FC94.jpeg

1473716A-46E8-4B86-A8C2-734380FAD1B1.jpeg

DBDA1F30-B2DB-436C-8982-7AEDD7434C22.jpeg

8F1AFB8E-6FAD-4748-8FC8-36A4A6F7F23A.jpeg

461A7BA2-FAD3-4B5A-8AE0-016F59757FBF.jpeg

Pass on this. VWs used a body pan and this one needs replacing. Patching won't be that safe. The door bottoms should be checked as I suspect they are shot. The roof will never be the same since the metal has stretched. Sorry to be a wet blanket but this is a real challenge. 

For $2500 - $4000 for a better car may seem like a lot but you would be way more into this one in parts and time very quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah that’s kinda what I was thinking I didn’t want it to be too much work for so little car, I’m glad I posted before I made a decision thanks for replying!

9 minutes ago, 72caddy said:

Pass on this. VWs used a body pan and this one needs replacing. Patching won't be that safe. The door bottoms should be checked as I suspect they are shot. The roof will never be the same since the metal has stretched. Sorry to be a wet blanket but this is a real challenge. 

For $2500 - $4000 for a better car may seem like a lot but you would be way more into this one in parts and time very quickly.

Passing is good.  I don't think that is a Super Beetle based on the front suspension, so I think the car is being mis-represented.  Pan replacement is not difficult and you can buy virtually all the sheetmetal, but you will definitely be in it upside down financially.

Flip by owner?  Didn't even take it off the trailer.  

Good car to learn on, simple to fix.  By the time you get it done you will have learned welding, mechanics, electrics, body work, and interior refurbishment.  Or, you will spend a fortune on a car thats not worth much and it will be a long time before you enjoy it if ever.  

Best bet, go to thesamba.com and look around and ask questions at that site. They can help you with anything you need to make an informed decision. They are quite simple cars, mostly affordable parts, and a lot of fun to drive.Good luck.

9 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Super beetles have a curved windshield, not a flat windshield like all other beetles..

Early Supers had a flat windshield, but from 73 on, I believe, it was curved.  All Supers have a macpherson strut front suspension and all regular beetles have the torsion bar front suspension.  That is why I think that one is misrepresented.  

As the others have said, you'll be way behind financially if you start on this one and it'll be a long time before you get to drive it.  Even if you got it for free it would still cost far more than than a good one you could buy now.  

Get the good one and you can still learn on it by fiddling and changing things to suit you and you get to drive it at the same time.  

5 hours ago, Frank Tate said:

Early Supers had a flat windshield, but from 73 on, I believe, it was curved.  All Supers have a macpherson strut front suspension and all regular beetles have the torsion bar front suspension.  That is why I think that one is misrepresented.  

Correct. I had a 74 Super.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:53 PM, 72caddy said:

I've been into VW's for 20+ years and this is the first I've heard of "the roof will never be the same since the metal has stretched"...  that's just not true.   Many VW's rusted far worse than this car have been successfully and safely repaired.   Replacing the floor pans is a very simple repair, both sides can be removed and replaced within a day, even if the body isn't removed.  

ol0cZxUl.jpg

iXdcCG8l.jpg

lRoPcZ7l.jpg

• Like 2

The VW offered for sale is a standard VW (basic model) not a Super Beetle.  Also, the 1977 engine is an FI engine; the installed engine is not FI.  Having an incorrect engine could present problems if emission testing is required in your state.

If you want a VW, it is best to select a 1967 or older model.  Also, the 1968 through 1970 VW bugs are good cars, but a bit more complex than the older ones and the parts availability is not as good as the earlier cars.  I would avoid the VW convertibles and the VW Karmann Ghias; body and trim parts could get expensive.

I suggest that you attend some local VW events to meet a few VW enthusiasts.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 7:16 PM, Myles Del Rey said:

Hello I’m new to restoring cars and have relatively no experience at all at fixing cars  but I want to take on this vw restoration. I want other experienced people’s opinions on what I should do. I know I won’t be able to do everything on my own as far as the wiring if needed and new floor pans but this is my dream car and I am also using this restoration for mechanical knowledge too. This 1977 VW Super Beetle has a lot of rust but not that much under the car it’s mostly surface rust. I just need someone more experienced opinion so I attached some photos he is also asking 600$ for it.

That is not a Super Beetle.  It is a Standard.  Volkswagen stopped importing the Super Beetle to North America after the 1975 model year, except for the Cabriolets, which kept coming to the U.S. thru 1979.  1979 was also the last year for the Standard Beetle in North America.  The rust repairs on that car will be significant.  Floor pans, heater channels, the area around the battery box, fender well areas, and, of course, the dreaded Foam of Death behind the crescent vents are all areas that will, more than likely, need a large amount of attention.