1918-1925 Buick Clutch Friction Lining

Hubert_25-25

I have been working with Myers Early Dodge, and they put me onto the supplier that they use for clutch friction lining material.  Originally these clutch friction linings are a brass or copper and fiber woven material with a seam that is stapled.  This is where they fail.  They also sell  a friction material "disc" that either you or they can rivet to the metal plates.  Attached is a drawing of the friction discs and the rivets.  They wanted to make a run of 50 discs.  I am wondering who else is interested.   It might be a good idea to keep these as spares.  These are the same part for all Buicks 1918 to 1925.  The 4 cylinder and Standard require 8 friction linings, and the early 6 cylinder and Master require 10 friction linings.   Please let me know if you have an interest.   Thank you.  Hugh 

1552073674_ClutchFrictionDisc-Buick1918-19253.thumb.JPG.abc8fe679c3c6c652b0588a4bbdd06ce.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Hugh,

I picked up three boxes of these NOS linings several years ago from a guy on evilBay.  He did not know just exactly what he had and I bought all that he had.  This is what is going to go on the clutch discs on my '20.  I gave Larry DiBarry a set of these when he did the clutch in his '25 Standard.  I'll bet the farm that these linings will outlast me and him several lifetimes over with the way that these cars of ours will be driven.  I am going to have to get with Larry about the rivets that he used.  I want enough of them for my '20 and '22.

I am trying to insert photos and a message comes on that says 9.77MB is maximum allowed.  What's going on here?

Terry Wiegand

Out in Windy Doo Dah

• Like 3

Hugh,

They are stamped as 5/32" but they check about .164" - .167" with the calipers.  Do you have a source for the rivets?  If not, then I will need to get with Larry.  I was very lucky to run across these especially since they are drilled and countersunk specifically for the Buick clutch.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

I probably need a set for my E-49. I don't know because the clutch is stuck in the engaged position, probably by rust. I need to take it apart and if I do that I definitely would assemble with a new set. I won't know because I'm busy building a garage so it will be a while before I work on the car again.

So, I'll take a set.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Brian, 

Originally Myers was going to order 50 friction discs and then sell them for our Buicks.  They have decided that they are not going to do this but they were kind enough to link me to their friction material person.  I figured that the price always comes down with volume, so I wanted to try to get close to 5 people for placing an order.  The person that I am working with will either supply the friction discs or install them to your clutch parts.  So with myself and 3 others, I am already close to having enough mass for his supplier to make the discs.  So the friction disc maker is yet another person.   He takes a larger disc and cuts it to size.  I went with Myers because they are reasonably priced in their stuff, and I wanted to use a friction material that was already working in vintage cars.  

Hugh  

• 2 weeks later...

We had an option of modern composite vs woven friction lining material.  The woven is from a mat, so it does not have a seam like the original woven material which is good.  $3 more per disc, so the price is $25.50 per disc plus shipping.   Discs will be made in Kentucky and I will see if he will ship any direct.  It may end up that all of them are shipped to me in Texas and I will need to ship the amount that you need from here. 

Rod, 

I will ask about Asbestos.  I seriously doubt it.   Asbestos is pretty much banned here as well.  Also, I need to know how many discs you need (8 or 10).  PM me with your address and let me check on shipping costs.      Hugh 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I received a box of clutch linings early this week.  We ended up with an order of 76 linings.  I have them all boxed up in sets for delivery.  I hope to send them out tomorrow.  The Discs look really nice.  I have the rivets too.  BR5-6 ,which is what is called out in the Buick specs, but BR5-5 would work as well.  One of the discs in the set has a single friction disc on it.  These require BR5-4 rivets  since there is not as much material to clinch since it only has 1 disc.  You should order at least eight BR5-4 rivets for this one disc.  The friction discs and the rivets came from Industrial Brake and Supply.  I am working on a procedure for all this and will post it when I am done.  This is what the clutch discs look like (1 piece woven disc with brass threads that came countersunk and ready to install.  The "T-147 star rivet clincher" (From Hanson Rivet & Supply) works real well for evenly splitting the rivet and rolling the ends.      Hugh

459171666_clutchfrictiondisc-newwovenwithbrass.thumb.JPG.f78de095aaf4dac8e1de4794594e2b1a.JPG

1867690175_ClutchJimMaifeldcontactinfo.thumb.JPG.2d627dac881955c080d25736af7d4c82.JPG

109707362_Clutchrivetclinching.thumb.JPG.345c27e3b4edc48b036193b5891c5252.JPG

1479808539_ClutchrivetclincherHT147HansonRivet.thumb.JPG.6e0ce365bf19d76afe3e555dcd46ee7a.JPG

• Like 3

Hugh

Question for you on the rivet tool.

Is there any reason why you went with the star tool instead of just a regular tubular rivet tool.

Was this as per Buick or some other reason.Was it the recommendation of IBS?  I'm thinking something to do with how it grabs the woven material.

Brad

Brad, 

All of the breaks in my rivets holding my friction linings were flared evenly spaced.   I assumed they used some sort of special tool to do this.  I do not know how the rivets would look using just a standard rivet flare tool.   Maybe a standard tool just flares it and does not break the end of the rivet into even pieces.    Hugh

680698308_clutchrivetclinchingdone.thumb.JPG.4c098af5f141f9463a160d50f296a7f0.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

One of our members no longer needs the friction disc set that was ordered when we were bulk buying the friction discs.   - Update.  I have sold all my extra discs.   You can contact Industrial Brake and Supply (See the information above) and they can make you a new set.    Hugh

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi there, may be a little late, but the clutch of my E-45 seems to reach end of life. Is there still the possibility to get a set of clutch discs?

I am here in Germany, may be that makes it a bit complicated.

ManyThanks

Reiner

• 1 year later...