Indian Head Gasket Cement

We read that Indian Head is being discontinued. We just purchased the last two bottles our parts store had. Should last 'til my Son retires in 30 years or so. The bottle we currently have was bought at least 15 years ago. Now if I can just squirrel away a dozen packs or so of NECCO wafers, my favorite candy, also being discontinued.

Permatex  webpage still has it listed. Also they link Advance Auto, Amazon and NAPA as sources, and those pages show my local stores and Amazon as having it in stock. 

Of course I still have several bottles I bought 30 years ago, since I now use more modern chemicals.?

Indian Head Shellac is used for assembly of Bosch fuel injection distributors. Must be leak proof for 80 psi and not degrade being exposed to fuel.

image.jpeg.080f41d87892e54cf03af509fc002307.jpeg

Resists water, steam, petroleum products, and antifreeze.

We undertake rebuilding the K-Jetronic CIS fuel distributor thanks to the help of my friends ... It was recommended to use Permatex Indian Head Shellac as the sealer. Fuel Distributor....

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:33 AM, Restorer32 said:

We read that Indian Head is being discontinued. We just purchased the last two bottles our parts store had. Should last 'til my Son retires in 30 years or so. The bottle we currently have was bought at least 15 years ago. Now if I can just squirrel away a dozen packs or so of NECCO wafers, my favorite candy, also being discontinued.

Necco wafers discontinued... what the heck! I enjoy those on a regular basis, except for the chocolate ones, yuck... few things last forever I suppose.

1 hour ago, Dave39MD said:

O'Reilly's has some that looks just like the Indian Head, same small brown bottle, but it has a lions head on the container. I bought some and it seems to be the same.

Dave

I have found that it isn't the same. It is similar, but seems to be a non-hardening compound, so if what you really wanted was Permatex #2, it is probably a good substitute. If you were going to let the shellac harden so the gaskets wont slide, you might be waiting a really long time.

That is another old fashioned gasket cement that has been around forever. It is quite useful, but doesn't really behave like indian head. I suspect #1 (hardening) Permatex is going to be the only thing even close. Maybe it could be thinned down with alcohol.