information on a Mercedes benz

Booreatta

just want if anyone ever owned? I am looking to purchase a Mercedes and I don't have a lot of info on a

MB late 90s vintage in a sl500. I hear stories about all kind of  problems of tops not wanting to work and

issues with wires not always working

I would like a little information from any one who has owned one

thanks

Booreatta

call or txt

316-655-1099

Yes , I can help you quite a bit . I will give you a call. The first thing you should do is order the book "Mercedes SL Series : The Complete Story" by Andrew Noakes.     Sorry, my brand new ipad mini is bullying me again ( just got back from the Apple Store for the 3rd or 4th time)

I would highly recomend visiting the Benzworld forum prior to purchase.  Lots of DIY types on that site, the model specific collective knowledge is fantastic.  I can tell you, despite its reputation as uber complex, I have saved a ton of dollars and aggrivation thanks to that group with our earlier r107 chassis SL.

2017-09-17 19.22.24.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes. There even some guys who do their own work on the V12s. Small , limber hands help in the crowded 12 engine bay. If you have arthritis , etc , forget it.   -  BB.  (That stands for Bubba Benz - a handle a friend hung on me as my 'Benz count began to threaten my Cad count) 

I've had 8 Mercedes and think well of them. Mine were 1958 - 85 models so not directly applicable. But I did not find them troublesome or hard to fix. I got my parts from Autohaus in Arizona, OEM brand parts at the best prices and reliable service.

I want to thnk everyone for the input. All the info here is very important to me. I have played with Buicks in the past and I need a change. I think I want to find a nice sl500 in red. There seems to be quite a few cars on the market with most in either California and Florida. Does anyone have any suggestions of relible dealer in the south,  I have heard that the hyd pumps and cylenders have issues is there any truth in this

I am in Kansas and there not a lot of these cars around. 

Again thanks looks like some more research is in order

Chuck

booreatta@cox.net

Chuck , the Pacific Northwest is a great area to hunt.  Very little damaging sun , and so much rain that hobby cars are often driven only on the few pleasant days we have. I will search for you. I would have called by now , but I worked too hard , too fast for too long yesterday. I have had to go back to bed. Certainly explains the difficulty i had with my mini last night.  Tired , sick , old ,   - Carl 

P.S.  The R 129 Mercedes exemplifies the cardinal rule of collector car buying : find the VERY BEST one you can afford. Take an in depth look at THAT one in every way possible. Then go out and find an EVEN BETTER one , and buy IT whether you can afford it or not !  oh ! I think i will make a first call right now. The thrill of the hunt is getting my blood flowing. And the mini is starting to show me who is boss. Here comes a call.  -  BB

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)