NEEDED 1937 Studebaker "S" Shaped Speaker Grill in Headliner

Which is correct for '37?  I know where the one pictured is located.  The two-bar style is the same as a well-known green '37 President coupe has installed.  The owner of that coupe wouldn't have used it if it wasn't correct.

Price of the one pictured here is not for the faint of heart.

Tom

image.jpeg

Greetings Richard,

Here is a picture of the speaker grille in your 1937 President Coupe.

For the record, I worked on this car with Rex during the summer of 2017. The car is very original, having approximately 45,000 miles on it. 1 owner, prior to Richard.

Jeff

IMG_0578.JPG

Edited by Jet Doc
additional comments (see edit history)

Shaun,

Could you get the part number for the grille, then contact Andy Beckman at the National Museum, and purchase the blueprint?

Looks like it could easily be CNC'ed / Laser Cut from a piece of Stainless Steel Sheet.

Or a good pencil tracing of one from someone else's car.

Just thinking.

Jeff

12 hours ago, Jet Doc said:

Shaun,

Could you get the part number for the grille, then contact Andy Beckman at the National Museum, and purchase the blueprint?

Looks like it could easily be CNC'ed / Laser Cut from a piece of Stainless Steel Sheet.

Or a good pencil tracing of one from someone else's car.

Just thinking.

Jeff

I'd prefer to search for an original first. Can anyone confirm if the golden colored mesh in the sample pictured above was the same fabric as the factory?

On 5/3/2018 at 10:33 PM, black9fourfour said:

I need a rear view mirror like this as well. Does someone have a speaker grill and mirror for sale?

When I had my J5 I found that hanging the interior rear view mirror at the top of the front window, such as it is in your photo, created a very bad angle too see out the rear window. Mounting on the dash also did not work for the same reason. I wound up fabricating a mount that was based on one of the screws that held the division bar in place. Looked great and worked perfectly. Never did find out what the factory used when new. Chris

Chris---I did the same thing in my J5.  I got a real good view of the tailgate and a small slice of asphalt, but not a view of any traffic behind.  That low mail-slot rear window sure makes the mirror useless in that high position.

I am not sure if Coupe-Expresses  came with interior rear view mirrors from the factory.  I seem to remember being told by a knowledgable member that they didn't.

I'll look into making a mount using the center division bar.  That's a good idea for safety.  I have one of the long-armed exterior door hinge mirrors, but haven't figured out how to mount it

Tom