Matt Harwood

1956 Chrysler Windsor Town & Country Wagon

12 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I love the higher than most rear wheel well opening. It shows off those fine wires. 

I totally agree. The big wheel opening makes these big cars look sporty, not heavy. We also have a 1956 Desoto sitting in the showroom and it came with fender skirts. Totally ruined the lines of the car and made it look like all the other big barges of the day. Take them off and voila! It is once again sporting and lithe, not clumsy.

Desoto1.jpg.bfe7c192450c06cfc6fb78db4bbaf579.jpg 001.JPG.98a24031dad5a1c15e7fccd721537a11.JPG

Chrysler styling was, in my opinion, the best combination of big car flashy and sporty of all the major manufacturers in the '50s. They avoided the heavy, bulky look that seemed to bog down all the others. Big cars, lots of chrome, but not heavy-looking or clumsy. That Desoto is a VERY big car, considerably larger than the wagon. Yet it looks like a sporty 2+2 and its size is very neatly disguised by the brilliant styling.

And yes, the wire wheels certainly add to it. I think it's the deep dish chrome rims that give it that illusion. It obviously transformed the wagon in a big way and I think any Chrysler of the period looks "unfinished" without them. 

• Like 3

Matt,  Here's a good view of the roof rack and wires on my '56 New Yorker T&C.  The rack has unique red plastic tip lenses. They don't illuminate but I guess you could always wire them up.   Good luck with your search.IMG_0318.JPG.e798fe23a645c7515dba6d2fac8bc2f7.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hippoco said:

Matt,  Here's a good view of the roof rack and wires on my '56 New Yorker T&C.  The rack has unique red plastic tip lenses. They don't illuminate but I guess you could always wire them up.   Good luck with your search.

Looks great! Love the exhaust tips from a later car. Our exhausts are routed out the sides behind the wheels, which I think was probably done intentionally to keep fumes from coming in the back window. I bought a set of tips for it but I think they look weird on the side so I left them off. I do love the roof rack, though! I'll keep looking for a correct one rather than settling for something "close enough." Those little red jewels are too cool.

I also got the LED taillight replacement and it was indeed a bad bulb. New bulb slotted right in without any effort at all and makes a noticeable difference.

TailLED1.jpg.c148b7351906dabe448e21a8780c93bc.jpg

Taillights (LED on left)

TailLED2.jpg.0208721f3124674896b8f6bdb011f86c.jpg

Brake lights (LED on left)

TailLED4.jpg.6121796b2588464d8259b18336b89fba.jpg

Taillights in the dark (LED on left)

TurnSignalLED.jpg.5eb50458ac425d14795bff6894af7b72.jpg

Both LEDs (turn signal flashing on left)

Not a huge difference, but enough to make me feel OK about spending the $40. The car is already 12 volts, so the standard bulbs were decent but more light (and faster light, which matters in a rear-end situation) is always better. This is my wife and kids in this car, so more visibility never hurts. Oh, and you may note I installed Melanie's new license plate:

LicensePlate1.jpg.59ac54c09d1e8b8f0b7303a5da9bbfc9.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2