Car collectors knowledge needed

akolbeck22

Ok guys here we go.

My original post "You guys sure are a trusting bunch" is factual on it's face as evidenced by the number of replies submitted by "trusting" members to an entity they know absolutely nothing  about. An entity that played to your soft spots of being in a hobby you care deeply about, by being a young lady, and by seeking education.

This BTW from respondents the large majority of whom will not use their real name or a specific location in their posts.

If you received a cold call or Email from someone you had no idea of their identity or motive asking those same questions would you have been so quick to divulge that information? Likely not.

Exactly what was the information tucked into those questions so easily gleaned by interested parties? Lets go through them in order.

Age............Excellent background info

Location............HELLO!

Occupation.......... Income, wealth, contacts

Education..........Income

Marital status/kids...........Establishes home occupation

First car...........Filler to gain confidence

Car fascination...........Ditto

Collection value..............BINGO!

Friends.............And who might they be? we'd like to know

Where do you meet .................When might you not be home, or we could bump into you, or other affiliations

Work on old cars.............Likely filler but implies wealth or lack of

Misunderstood aspect............likely filler but offers insight into mindset

Other activities............Insight into social status

TV shows...........Ditto

So there it is.

Who you are, where you are, what you're worth, who your friends are, and by inference political and spiritual leanings...... Pure gold.

One guy implied I was "overly paranoid". I'll ignore both the oxymoronic term and the insult.

You guys can go on providing quite a profile of yourself to be mined by whomever or whatever for who knows what. To write a school project? Quite possibly. In fact quite probably. Where it goes from there who knows. Myself.......... I'll ignore the opportunity.

So, I'll stand by my original post. Even though it is, and was meant to be, benign it seems to have raised some hackles. I regret that, but my post has proved to be true.

Ashley, if you do exist I suggest a career on the West coast writing data mining software. You have talent. YOU GO GIRL!  ....................Robert Beck

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Paranoid?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yahoo ebay and Amazon with Facebook leading the march already knows more than this survey will ever collect,  just from looking up one thing on any of the sites. 

Do you also cover your license plate when taking pictures to post on craigslist?

Ok enough for now.  Just have a little fun with it. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Yahoo ebay and Amazon with Facebook leading the march already knows more than this survey will ever collect,  just from looking up one thing on any of the sites. 

Do you also cover your license plate when taking pictures to post on craigslist?

Ok enough for now.  Just have a little fun with it. 

Nope, Don't cover my plates. Yup, I am having fun with it. Nope, don't do facebook or other "social media". Nope, not paranoid.  Just think they are boring and stupid beyond all reason. Yup, there is no privacy left but feel there is little reason to feed the beast for no good reason. Nope, not at all surprised at the reaction to my post..........................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Last post by me here but the personal questions asked for id verification contain far more financial and personal information than appears on this survey and they already know the answers. Multiple choice questions might include things like "When did you make your last payment on your 2004 Impala? What is your current mortgage balance? Which of these phone numbers belonged to you in 2008?". Many respondents fail to be able to answer the questions asked about themselves.

All of that information is available to the companies that specialize in identity verification. Most of that information is available to the general public without much effort. Vastly more information is available if someone wants to pay a couple of bucks. Think back to when John Hinckley Jr. attempted to assassinate President Reagan in 1981.  Within a few hours the news sources were able to provide complete background information on him. That was close to 40 years ago and before the internet.

No one has to "mine" data on individuals anymore. It has already been done for them and all of that information is available at the click of a mouse. .

Edited by vermontboy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Yahoo ebay and Amazon with Facebook leading the march already knows more than this survey will ever collect

Run your name through Google sometime to see some of the info that is out there on you. I just did it with my name and found all of this on a site called Mylife.com. Another site had my home address. There's nothing you can do about it so why worry about it?

David Dietmeyer is 66 years old and was born on 03/14/1952. Currently, he lives in Crestwood, KY; and previously lived in Louisville, KYSometimes David goes by various nicknames including David A Dietmeyer, David Arthur Dietmeyer. His ethnicity is Caucasian, whose political affiliation is currently a registered Unaffiliated; and religious views are listed as Christian. David is now married . He has a reported annual income of 250K+ and a current net worth value of Greater than $1M.

26 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Your name is Lebowski, Lebowski!!

One of the things I find interesting in this thread is that the  majority of guys that rushed to answer the "survey" choose to use a screen name to mask their identity on a forum of like minded folks. Most offer only vague locations.

Also interesting is the number that felt it necessary to defend their decision to participate.

One chose to comment on my perceived mental state.

My next "observation" is there will be calls to shut down this thread.

Interesting stuff here....................Bob

• Like 1

21 hours ago, akolbeck22 said:

...I'm just a high school student studying subcultures.

The Merriam Webster definition of "subculture": an ethnic, regional, economic, or social group exhibiting characteristic patterns of behavior sufficient to distinguish it from others within an embracing culture or society.

Granted, that we old car guys can be a bit eccentric, but I'm not sure that we actually qualify as a "subculture".  We're definitely a social group, but we don't seem to fit the rest of the definition.  Maybe if we could petition to become a "subculture", we could secede from the U.S. ... Oh wait, our members are from all over the world.  Never mind.  My friends say that I'm lacking in culture, so maybe I'm ineligible to become a member of a "subculture". 

Cheers,

Grog  (uncultured, but fermented)

37 minutes ago, capngrog said:

The Merriam Webster definition of "subculture": an ethnic, regional, economic, or social group exhibiting characteristic patterns of behavior sufficient to distinguish it from others within an embracing culture or society.

Granted, that we old car guys can be a bit eccentric, but I'm not sure that we actually qualify as a "subculture".  We're definitely a social group, but we don't seem to fit the rest of the definition.  Maybe if we could petition to become a "subculture", we could secede from the U.S. ... Oh wait, our members are from all over the world.  Never mind.  My friends say that I'm lacking in culture, so maybe I'm ineligible to become a member of a "subculture". 

Cheers,

Grog  (uncultured, but fermented)

People who enjoy antique automobiles are a "sub culture" of the larger group of Auto Enthusiasts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

The Bums will always lose Mr. Lebowski.

This is a pretty interesting thread. On a scale of 1-10 I'd say Mark it 8, Dude... :o

(Since someone is already talking about getting this thread closed I suggest that we discontinue the Lebowski quotes so Ashley can get more responses to her survey.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

So, I'll stand by my original post. Even though it is, and was meant to be, benign it seems to have raised some hackles. I regret that, but my post has proved to be true.

Ashley, if you do exist I suggest a career on the West coast writing data mining software. You have talent. YOU GO GIRL!  ....................Robert Beck

Ironic that you have more "exploitable" information in your signature then this survey would provide.

I filled the survey out. Good luck with the project Ashley.

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Buick64C said:

Ironic that you have more "exploitable" information in your signature then this survey would provide.

I filled the survey out. Good luck with the project Ashley.

OK, once again.

The point of my post isn't whether Ashley is genuine or not or how much is already known about anyone.  It matters not at all to the point of my post. I was pointing out that by skillful  use  of the reader's "soft spots" their confidence and trust was almost instantly gained. It's a perfect mini example of how con games are run or folks are taken advantage of.

Was this a con game? Very likely not.

Was anything of great value given up? Very likely not.

Again, that isn't the point.

So, once again: I was only remarking on the ease of gaining some ones confidence by the skillful use of common bonds, interests, affiliations and their desire to be relevant......

Pretty interesting stuff.

I'm guessing if Ashley wrote her paper on the dynamics of the reaction to her post rather than the  dull minutia of the survey she'd get a far better reaction from her instructor............................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, akolbeck22 said:

Here is my final report. Thanks for all of the surveys you guys provided!

Subcultural Studies.docx

Very nice report.   Your awareness and grasp of concepts is way beyond your age.  Thanks for dropping by the forum and reminding us older folk that the younger generation will actually be OK.  Feel free to hang around. :)

• Like 2

A well done report. Let us know if you received feedback from your instructor or others not on this forum. 

I think we would all give you an A+ and hope you have gain some long  term knowledge about and future interest in this crazy hobby. Have fun. 

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 2