akolbeck22

Car collectors knowledge needed

53 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

First, None of the information submitted is really much of a secret, and second, the Google Document for the Survey contains the following information, "This form was created inside of Arlington Public Schools."

I'm guessing a marginally skilled hacker could make a post appear to come from just about any place he chose. But whatever. I was just sayin..............Bob

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I'm guessing a marginally skilled hacker could make a post appear to come from just about any place he chose. But whatever. I was just sayin..............Bob

A reasonably skilled hacker could hack the account you use here too.......are you SURE you're YOU?........ :ph34r: ....... :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, cahartley said:

A reasonably skilled hacker could hack the account you use here too.......are you SURE you're YOU?........ :ph34r: ....... :P

True enough, and all the more reason not to make feeding the beast easy.

My post was not a criticism but merely an observation. As always: Please don't shoot the messenger...............Bob

• Like 1

I'll still err on the side of being welcoming to a member of the younger generation who expresses some interest in the antique car hobby...

• Like 7

1 minute ago, MCHinson said:

I'll still err on the side of being welcoming to a member of the younger generation who expresses some interest in the antique car hobby...

Thank you for affirming my observation, Matt..................Bob

32 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Yup, me too, I will tell myself a real con artist has bigger possibilities than us

Sounds like good a calculated risk, guess I am too trusting.  If you want to keep your information private best thing to do is close your Facebook account.

Good Luck with the project!

There is nothing in the survey that couldn't be gleaned by spending time reviewing your posts..... and if you were concerned it is easy enough to Google her name and school and bingo - we have a match..... 

Sorry - I used to work for the government and believe me it is almost impossible to hide in this day and age. Most people can be found in a matter of minutes these days, some take longer...... it is not rocket science.

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone for doing this survey for me! I'm not a hacker if you were wondering...I'm just a high school student studying subcultures. I do have a interest with old cars. My dad has a '67 Camaro and he builds rat rods in his free time (sometimes I even help). I have been going to car shows with him since I was a kid and enjoy learning about these cars. All the information you provided is going to be very helpful for my report and I will be sure to share with you what I analyze and find through my studies. -Ashley (a girl)

• Like 3

Miss Ashley. If nothing else I would give you an “A” for effort and an “A+” for dealing with this goofy group.  Keep up the good work. We will look forward to your results. Have fun. 

Dave S 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

You guys sure are a trusting bunch...................Bob

We're not just overly paranoid like some people. :rolleyes:

I completed your survey, Ashley. Good luck with your project....

Ok guys here we go.

My original post "You guys sure are a trusting bunch" is factual on it's face as evidenced by the number of replies submitted by "trusting" members to an entity they know absolutely nothing  about. An entity that played to your soft spots of being in a hobby you care deeply about, by being a young lady, and by seeking education.

This BTW from respondents the large majority of whom will not use their real name or a specific location in their posts.

If you received a cold call or Email from someone you had no idea of their identity or motive asking those same questions would you have been so quick to divulge that information? Likely not.

Exactly what was the information tucked into those questions so easily gleaned by interested parties? Lets go through them in order.

Age............Excellent background info

Location............HELLO!

Occupation.......... Income, wealth, contacts

Education..........Income

Marital status/kids...........Establishes home occupation

First car...........Filler to gain confidence

Car fascination...........Ditto

Collection value..............BINGO!

Friends.............And who might they be? we'd like to know

Where do you meet .................When might you not be home, or we could bump into you, or other affiliations

Work on old cars.............Likely filler but implies wealth or lack of

Misunderstood aspect............likely filler but offers insight into mindset

Other activities............Insight into social status

TV shows...........Ditto

So there it is.

Who you are, where you are, what you're worth, who your friends are, and by inference political and spiritual leanings...... Pure gold.

One guy implied I was "overly paranoid". I'll ignore both the oxymoronic term and the insult.

You guys can go on providing quite a profile of yourself to be mined by whomever or whatever for who knows what. To write a school project? Quite possibly. In fact quite probably. Where it goes from there who knows. Myself.......... I'll ignore the opportunity.

So, I'll stand by my original post. Even though it is, and was meant to be, benign it seems to have raised some hackles. I regret that, but my post has proved to be true.

Ashley, if you do exist I suggest a career on the West coast writing data mining software. You have talent. YOU GO GIRL!  ....................Robert Beck

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Paranoid?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yahoo ebay and Amazon with Facebook leading the march already knows more than this survey will ever collect,  just from looking up one thing on any of the sites. 

Do you also cover your license plate when taking pictures to post on craigslist?

Ok enough for now.  Just have a little fun with it. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Paranoid?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yahoo ebay and Amazon with Facebook leading the march already knows more than this survey will ever collect,  just from looking up one thing on any of the sites. 

Do you also cover your license plate when taking pictures to post on craigslist?

Ok enough for now.  Just have a little fun with it. 

Nope, Don't cover my plates. Yup, I am having fun with it. Nope, don't do facebook or other "social media". Nope, not paranoid.  Just think they are boring and stupid beyond all reason. Yup, there is no privacy left but feel there is little reason to feed the beast for no good reason. Nope, not at all surprised at the reaction to my post..........................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Also remember the "value" we put on our old cars (monetarily speaking) is purely speculative and probably atleast slightly adjusted higher than retail.  Especially on the black market. 

Some would take days to excavate from our garages. 

The sobering aspect of this whole thing isn't the quality of the info but how absolutely easily it was obtained. Stunning..................Bob

Last post by me here but the personal questions asked for id verification contain far more financial and personal information than appears on this survey and they already know the answers. Multiple choice questions might include things like "When did you make your last payment on your 2004 Impala? What is your current mortgage balance? Which of these phone numbers belonged to you in 2008?". Many respondents fail to be able to answer the questions asked about themselves.

All of that information is available to the companies that specialize in identity verification. Most of that information is available to the general public without much effort. Vastly more information is available if someone wants to pay a couple of bucks. Think back to when John Hinckley Jr. attempted to assassinate President Reagan in 1981.  Within a few hours the news sources were able to provide complete background information on him. That was close to 40 years ago and before the internet.

No one has to "mine" data on individuals anymore. It has already been done for them and all of that information is available at the click of a mouse. .

Edited by vermontboy (see edit history)
  • Like 1