Car collectors knowledge needed

akolbeck22

Hi my name is Ashley Kolbeck and I'm doing a project in my English class analyzing subcultures.  I chose classic car collectors as mine and it would help me in my research if you could take a couple minutes out of your day to fill out this survey about your life. The reason I chose this subculture to study was because my dad has been collecting classic cars my whole life and we have been going to car shows since I was a kid. I just wanted to learn more from people who share the same interests as him. This info you provide won't be shared and will remain anonymous.

Here is the link to the survey:) Thank you for your help!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSczslw72caMJDdBRDXadKNcB9BMkG5GPEqagzN_2BI_HD4lmQ/viewform?c=0&w=1

Edited by akolbeck22 (see edit history)

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I think that our members would probably be interested in knowing more about you and your family. Why did you pick this particular subculture? Are you or your family involved in the antique car hobby?  I have completed your survey.  Good luck.

Bob, I think Ashley's survey can be answered without

thinking of specific types of cars.  She's not asking about

specific decades or club definitions of "classic," but rather

about the entire old-car hobby.

Ashley, I was happy to take your survey, and it will be

interesting to know what you found.  If you care to share

your findings with us when you're done, that would make

it all the more interesting for us.

• Like 2

I took your survey and hope you get a large sampling. Here are my Classic Cars as defined by Classic Car Club of America. I did include my long ago purchased, ex-daily driver '71&'76 Cadillac convertibles. Kids born long after these '70s cars were built made me realize I am an old man in what are very old cars to them. How time flies.!!!!!!!!!       -  Cadillac Carl 

B8226DA0-1C3C-4207-A431-7069A4FFB9E4.jpeg

8BF1165F-A77F-4D1D-BAC5-CAC98BF8CA75.jpeg

• Like 1

Ok I submitted but find it difficult to believe you will be able to provide meaningful results to this audience. The analytics may mean something to companies working on possible markets but your universe seems to be small for meaningful results. Hope it works out for you. 

Dave S 

I see where you are going , Dave , but the very definition of a school project implies meaningful results in an ultimate sense. Compound that with Ashley’s lifelong association with the hobby , and the result is considerably more than just empirical data. It may be of greater or lesser value to THIS audience , but the value to Ashley is considerable. I also would be interested in any conclusions or insights derived from this. Also curious to know what cars Ashley (isn’t Ashley a gender neutral name ? I have known m&f Ashleys , or is there some spelling differentiation?) , has grown up with. 

Ashley , I wish you great success in all your endeavors. In that some measures of success are represented by financial achievement , I hope that will in some way accompany a happy career based in something you and your colleagues find fascinating. Then you can enjoy the buyers market to come if and when you continue in the hobby. Thank you very much for stopping in here and shining some warm light on us !       Old , but not always in the way ,    -  Cadillac Carl 

• Like 1

Carl, I was not trying to discourage Miss ( I assume Miss despite you knowing Ashleys of both genders and mean no disrespect for doing so) Ashley in her endeavors and wish her all the best in this project. Having done surveys for 40+ years for the publishing industry to help their advertisers I know open ended questions can prove to be very difficult to qualify. Results from these type answers can be swayed by the person doing the analysis own bias and history. Miss Ashley has a history with the subject. The smaller the universe she gets surveys from the more the results can be swayed. By no means do I think this would be intentional and I hope it would not happen. Any educational project can be a benefit to the students, teachers and others and well worth a good effort. I encourage her to get as much information as possible and wish her the best. It’s a very interesting project

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

Yup ! EXACTLY , Dave ! No , sure , therefore the first 1/2 dozen words in my response above. And in this magnificent forum , we are ALL both students and teachers. It is just that the staccato, unmodulated soliloquies we blurt out here can be vulnerable to quite a variety of reception. My antennae are tuned to pick up anything , innocently and constructively submitted as they may be , and to create an amplified positive vector , particularly in favor of a relative newbie. You and I both knew exactly where you were coming from. And now , particularly with your fleshing out what may not have been entirely obvious to a young student , Ashley does too. Two (or more) , heads are better than one. How many active participants do we have here ?        Great teamwork ! Thanks , brother !    -  CC 

19 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

You guys sure are a trusting bunch...................Bob

First, None of the information submitted is really much of a secret, and second, the Google Document for the Survey contains the following information, "This form was created inside of Arlington Public Schools."

• Like 1

I do not need to make any assumptions , nor do I beg gender clarification here. It is quite simply irrelevant. Most , or perhaps save one or two , ALL here would assume Mercedes is a female name , right ? I am fluent in Spanish , and have lived and travelled in Spanish speaking countries on three continents. for many years. I had a profound love affair with a South American Angel , a gal named Mercedes., “Meche” later became a bit of the protagonist in Oscar Aviles Peruvian Waltz , ”Mechita”. (“Munequita seductora no me hagas surfrir mas”). Two ladies , Mechita’s sister and cousin , and I rented a big , bad new New Mercedes-Benz 450SEL , a European manual floor shift (!!) about 30years ago. Bad rate of exchange , the thing cost me $650 USD for the day. We roared out of Madrid for Toledo. I like to read everything in exhibits , and found out that Generalissimo dn. “Paco” had a very eloquent general who’s name was Mercedes. ”Mechito” met his maker , but left quite a benediction to his son in favor of the fascist cause. No wait a minute. FATHER  wrote to his SON who was under siege with no hope...............oh anyway , gender neutrality.............          In retrospect , I wish I had enjoyed putting  the “Meche” , or “Mecho” as the gender may have been , through it’s V8 paces for 18 or 20 hours (yeah I was young enough then to do that)  , turned it back in after 24 hours and hopped on a bus to Toledo the next day. I mean , why pay $650 a day to park a state of the art , high performance floor shift Mercedes sedan , rather than getting on it. Oye , Mecredes : Requerdas tantas locuras ? 

Without assumptions , Suerte , Ashley !      -  Dn.  Carlos de los Cadillaces 

53 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

First, None of the information submitted is really much of a secret, and second, the Google Document for the Survey contains the following information, "This form was created inside of Arlington Public Schools."

I'm guessing a marginally skilled hacker could make a post appear to come from just about any place he chose. But whatever. I was just sayin..............Bob

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I'm guessing a marginally skilled hacker could make a post appear to come from just about any place he chose. But whatever. I was just sayin..............Bob

A reasonably skilled hacker could hack the account you use here too.......are you SURE you're YOU?........ :ph34r: ....... :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, cahartley said:

A reasonably skilled hacker could hack the account you use here too.......are you SURE you're YOU?........ :ph34r: ....... :P

True enough, and all the more reason not to make feeding the beast easy.

My post was not a criticism but merely an observation. As always: Please don't shoot the messenger...............Bob

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCHinson said:

I'll still err on the side of being welcoming to a member of the younger generation who expresses some interest in the antique car hobby...

Thank you for affirming my observation, Matt..................Bob

32 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I'll still err on the side of being welcoming to a member of the younger generation who expresses some interest in the antique car hobby...

Yup, me too, I will tell myself a real con artist has bigger possibilities than us

There is nothing in the survey that couldn't be gleaned by spending time reviewing your posts..... and if you were concerned it is easy enough to Google her name and school and bingo - we have a match..... 

Sorry - I used to work for the government and believe me it is almost impossible to hide in this day and age. Most people can be found in a matter of minutes these days, some take longer...... it is not rocket science.

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone for doing this survey for me! I'm not a hacker if you were wondering...I'm just a high school student studying subcultures. I do have a interest with old cars. My dad has a '67 Camaro and he builds rat rods in his free time (sometimes I even help). I have been going to car shows with him since I was a kid and enjoy learning about these cars. All the information you provided is going to be very helpful for my report and I will be sure to share with you what I analyze and find through my studies. -Ashley (a girl)

• Like 3