How do I remove door window from 35 KC?

jimy

I would like to remove the door windows/regulators from my second series (cab is like a 36) KC truck.  There are numerous issues (one side skips gears, the other won't go down all the way, etc, etc)

I haven't figured out how to get things apart and am looking for some help.  Can the glass come out first?  If so, does the metal channel come with it?  Can the door latch mechanism stay in place?

There is nothing in my service manual about this.  Would a parts manual have any pictures that would be helpful?

(if I get them out I'm sure I will have followup questions on the repairs)

thanks,

Jim

IMG_3497.JPG

IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG

IMG_3502.JPG

Edited by jimy
additional info (see edit history)

I'm not sure how to get the retainer channels out, but If you are interested, I rebuild the front "batwing" channels for those. I can also make the inner beltstrip , window fuzzy, if you have a sample and if there is one. On some of the channels where the regulator meets the slide rail, there is a roller or rollers that must be removed first. Then the window is cranked all the way up and out of the door  while tilting it to the inside. Or course the garnish moulding must be removed. Hope this helps.  Jim

Thanks jpage,

Once I get things apart I will let you know what I see/have and I'm definitely interested to hear how you can help me get these working correctly.

I've attached a picture of one of the lower rollers.  The roller is attached to a stud which is "riveted" to the regulator arm.  The right half of the roller is free moving with a spring that presses it against the channel (slide rail?).  It seems the left side of the roller must be a press/snap fit onto the stud and that is what must be disconnected?    I worry about breaking the glass.  Any thoughts on safe removal?  Pry with something or just use my hand?

thanks,

Jim

IMG_3507.JPG

There should be a way to release the regulator arm so it will slide out of the channel. I'll check with a friend who had one of these and see if he knows. If you can get a Master Maintenance manual for your truck, it should outline the procedure.

OK - I got the windows out.  I did unscrew the regulators but I'm not 100% sure that was necessary.  There is a cutout in the center of the channel glued to the window that I took advantage of for the second window.  They also have to be tilted sideways to come out.

jpage - I'd like to hear about your service for the batwings.  Mine definitely need done.  I hope they are fixable - the inner sheet metal (which the fabric/rubber/felt/whatever is glued to is somewhat bent up.  We can talk offline (forum message, email, whatever is best) or thru this forum post if you like.

Are the batwings supposed to provide friction to help hold the window up (the drivers side slowly lowers during a drive)

Jim