Transmission fluid for a 62 plus

Hadders

Hi what would be the recommended transmission fluid for a 62 Cruise o matic?  Thanks

Also does anyone know if its ok to turn the transmission onto its side to change the filter etc or would this be a bad idea?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I believe that it is Type F. What does your owners manual say? Of course do you know the history of the car? Of course somewhere along the line the transmission may have been rebuilt and the fluid switched to Dexron, which seems to be a popular upgrade. 

Regards,

Lew Bachman

1957 T-Bird Colonial White

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1957Birdman said:

Hi Andy,

I believe that it is Type F. What does your owners manual say? Of course do you know the history of the car? Of course somewhere along the line the transmission may have been rebuilt and the fluid switched to Dexron, which seems to be a popular upgrade. 

Regards,

Lew Bachman

1957 T-Bird Colonial White

Many thanks Lew, this has sat since the early 80's so I've drained it all and intend to change the filter and refill.  Not sure to use Type F or the later Dexron?

I hesitate to even post this because I don't know the answer. What does your dipstick say? I'll bet it says type "a".

IIRC Ford recommended type "a" in those cruiseomatics (and fordomatics) through 1962. In 1963 they introduced type "f", and from that point on recommended type "f" for every automatic transmission they had ever made, all the way back to 1951 or so.

The change had to do with the clutch and band linings used from 63 on. Type "f" is less slippery. It is a lot closer to motor oil. I have heard horror stories about changing earlier cars to type "f", wont shift, etc....

On the other hand, if it is not the original transmission, or if it was ever overhauled during the type "f" period, it probably has to have type "f" because of the linings.

The modern equivalent of type "a" (as used 1962 and earlier) is dexron/mercon. Type "f" is still available if you look around.

The filter is easier. It is just a screen. Take it out, wash it in solvent, inspect it, and if it isnt damaged, put it back in. Pay attention to the pickup tube. It needs to seal up at the top. There must be an o-ring or a gasket or something?. Maybe it just fits tight. You don't want the pump sucking air.

I lean toward dexron/mercon. I hope you get a better answer than this.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I hesitate to even post this because I don't know the answer. What does your dipstick say? I'll bet it says type "a".

IIRC Ford recommended type "a" in those cruiseomatics (and fordomatics) through 1962. In 1963 they introduced type "f", and from that point on recommended type "f" for every automatic transmission they had ever made, all the way back to 1951 or so.

The change had to do with the clutch and band linings used from 63 on. Type "f" is less slippery. It is a lot closer to motor oil. I have heard horror stories about changing earlier cars to type "f", wont shift, etc....

On the other hand, if it is not the original transmission, or if it was ever overhauled during the type "f" period, it probably has to have type "f" because of the linings.

The modern equivalent of type "a" (as used 1962 and earlier) is dexron/mercon. Type "f" is still available if you look around.

The filter is easier. It is just a screen. Take it out, wash it in solvent, inspect it, and if it isnt damaged, put it back in. Pay attention to the pickup tube. It needs to seal up at the top. There must be an o-ring or a gasket or something?. Maybe it just fits tight. You don't want the pump sucking air.

I lean toward dexron/mercon. I hope you get a better answer than this.

Thanks Bloo, as mentioned the car was 'laid up' since 82 in a barn!  Imported last year to the UK and I've started a 'budget' rebuild.  Not driven it though got it started and moved backward and forwards (walking pace) as the tyres had collapsed.  When I pulled the engine / trans there was a name written on the trans which turns out to be a chap who owned a transmission shop so presume its been rebuilt or had work prior to 82.  Obviously it would be ideal to send it away for a check and rebuild but that in the UK would be a large chunk of my mostly spent budget!! 

• Like 1