Fuel gauge FIXED!

jframe

After 2 years of head scratchin', parts replacin', cussin', and general fumin', I THINK my fuel gauge mystery is solved. The original gauge was DEFINITELY bad, and the float was DEFINITLEY too high at full, thus hitting the tank. Bent the arm down about 3/4 of an inch, hooked a used gauge I got last week, and put it all back together. Added an extra ground wire to the sender, and discovered that the original yellow wire to the sender had a wad of the yellow insulation INSIDE the eyelet connector, whch sure didn't help either. Put a new eyelet on it, siphoned the gas back in and it immediately jumped from its previous almost empty reading to just under a half tank. Filled it up with just over 11 gallons, hit the switch, and it shot to full. Haven't seen it work that way since I bought it 2 years ago. Between a new sender that needed modification, an original gauge that was slow and inaccuate, and a bit of screwed up wiring, I HOPE its fixed. Started as a small problem, and has become somewhat of an obssession!

• Like 10

And then having to go back 2 days later, and basically do it all over because you foolishly did not make a new sending unit gasket, and it tears, dumping gas down the back of the muffler into your garage floor, forcing you to tow it back to work because you are scared of fire if you drive it?

Edited by jframe (see edit history)