New exhaust

Summershandy

Hey guys. Got my new exhaust today from Classic Exhaust. Man is that one mother of a muffler! It's a lot shorter than the rusted out one on the car now. Think this is a likeness of the original? I'm not familiar with mufflers this long. The bends look pretty close but I won't know until I install in the next couple weeks. I do like the quality of steel. Just a little bummed they didn't throw in the clamps LOL

IMG_6963.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG

On 4/26/2018 at 12:47 PM, Summershandy said:

hangers are identical except for the one at the end of the muffler.

Nope, upon installation I found the rubber from the hangers on the frame at the rear of the muffler. So this would be my system. On a side note, pipe 3.609 was bent a little low and was hitting the cross member preventing the gasket from sealing at the manifold. Ran down to the muffler shop and they bent it around 1" up. My call. Came home and bolted up the flange with a good seal cleared the frame. Now I can't attach the muffler. We will have to bend it back down maybe 1/2". Just like my prebent brake lines....not quite a match. If I were to do it all over again, I would have seen if I could buy the muffler alone and have the shop make the rest. 

I think I may have something here. After assembling and disassembling a dozen times and looking at pictures, you can see how we were able to raise the pipe from the bottom of the frame so it seals at the manifold. I took a pic looking head on parallel to the frame and to me, the pipe could be bent some more which should move it to the left and down a little. I loosened the flange to let the pipe rest on the bottom of the cross member like it was and I was still unable to make it line up with the muffler. I'm hoping this bend will do it. I'm also going to bring the old pipe with me to the shop tomorrow as a comparison. It's kinda messed up in the same spot to begin with. 

IMG_6983.JPG

IMG_6991.JPG

Once you get things so they fit right, get some of this and put it on any slip joints in your system:

Walker.jpg

This is god-awful black goo that never comes off of anything, so don't put it on until you know it is the final assembly.

It seals up slip joints with less clamp pressure than might otherwise be necessary, so you are less likely to overtighten the clamps and warp up the slip joints. It cures with heat and becomes brittle, so down the road you can get slip joints apart, often by just removing the clamp and jerking the pipe around to break up the now-brittle and powdery black stuff. It also acts as an insulator, so if you do need to resort to an acetylene torch to get things apart, when you heat the joint up, the outer pipe will expand much more than the inner one, due to the insulating effect.

The difference this makes getting things apart a few years down the road after everything is rusty is unbelieveable.

• 2 weeks later...

The original muffler fits 1934-54 all models.  It is a little over 34" long.  You probably could have found one.  I have a NOS exhaust pipe $50.  I have had several customers with problems with mail order exhaust systems. 641-648-9086

I ended up bringing the original pipe from the manifold back to the shop to have them make a new one. The old fellow that's been bending pipes for years made one and made the system fit perfect! Best part is I had been there so many times and got to know them, they only charged me $25. Whew, got lucky there. The overall length seems a little short also as the tailpipe is under the bumper more than I'd like. One could always add a chrome tailpiece or something.