My 49 Buick Super 56C - yeah baby!

lulajean

Greetings All. I just bought my first Buick. She is a 49 Super 56C,  aka Convertible,  and she is an all original beauty.  I look forward to reading about your experiences and appreciate any words of wisdom y'all can give me about finding parts. I come from a vintage British bike background so I understand the ups and downs of owning a classic or 2.  Let the adventures begin! 

Lj & dahlia.jpg

Edited by lulajean (see edit history)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

wow, WoW, WOW!  she is a beauty.  Please advise me on what I can expect for maintenance  (PM me if you think you'll bore the pants off the rest of the forum). I want to know everything! I salute your collection sir. 

• Like 1

Not knowing previous maintenance history of the car, you are in for quite a list of items.

1. Change engine oil, filter and while you are at it, drop the oil pan and clean/inspect it.

2.  Depending on which transmission is in the car, the tranny should at least have the fluid levels checked.

3.  If the car will go.....you must be able

to stop.  The brake fluid should be flushed and brakes inspected/adjusted. Front wheel bearings should be cleaned/inspected/greased.

4.  Please check your tires to see if they are suitable to run on the road. Older tires are very dangerous on our older cars.  Many times it is too easy to overlook condition of tires.  A blowout at 45 miles an hour could ruin your whole party.

5.  Lubrication, lubrication, lubrication.  Hinges, latches, suspension.

6.  Tune up. Plugs, wires, points, rotor, cap.  Battery terminalS should be cleaned and tightened.  Grounding straps should also be cleaned.  Don’t forget the connections on your hydraulic pump motor.  Don’t forget that the hydaulic pump system could have brake fluid in it and should be flushed out and replaced with atf. The brake flyid is very damaging to paint.  I would imagine that your car has atf.  Pull the canister off of the bottom of the pump and check the fluid level in the canister.

There is more to do. Just a list to get you guys started. Buy a shop manual for your car off of Ebay. Make sure you pick up a suppliment for the hydraulic system

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome! Just a note on hydraulic fluids. If you change over from brake fluid to ATF in your system all the seals in every part will fail. I did that and ended up having failures soon after. Had to replace all 4 window cylinders and the 2 top ones too before it would work properly. Next I expect the pump itself will need all its seals replaced too. (ATF dissolves the natural rubber seals so you have to use synthetic rubber).  If it currently works with brake fluid I would leave it......

Good luck!

Phil 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just found the thread about your new car, and as has been said before, that's a lovely car. One of my fav's, and sort of on my list of cars I'd like to own sometime or the other.
 Enjoy her as they are great cars to own and drive.

Lots of great people on the forum here as well.

Keith

• Like 1