Sign in to follow this  
Dave Young

Door Stop Straps for a 20's car needed

I'm in the process of making the doors work better on my '28 Chandler.  The door stops are a heavy rubberized strap with a spring steel core and have become a hazard to my wife's  legs as she gets in and out on the passenger side, as the steel band core has come out of the webbing.  Is anyone reproducing such a thing?  I was considering making a nylon web sling stop but  it would have to be smashed between the door and the jamb when the door is shut.  The way they did it originally was a perfect solution.  Here's a picture of it.  It's about 9" long.

image.jpg

IMG_0209.JPG

Restoration Specialties in Pa used to have some of these similar to your description, you might want to call, ask for Jeff, and see if they have any left. Their number is 814-467-9842 and their website is restorationspecialties.com. good hunting!

Thank you for the contacts.  I'll give them both a try.  I'm making one up right now from an older Model T fan Belt, cloth type, that is stiff enough to slide into the socket, but plyable enough to stitch a T-bar onto.  29Franklin:  I wound up having Ross Pistons make me a full set of 8 for my '29 Chandler.  The one you saw at Batsto runs all the time and is what I'm working on tonight... besides the 3 model T's and the 29 A.   Is that your Franklin sitting over in EHT? 

I think I found mine for my Studebaker in the Steel Rubber catalogue--just need to be a little creative---Tom----think I used Packard

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dave Young said:

I just happen to have the Steele catalog.  Thanks, I'll take a look.

Dave,hope you have a older catalogue that has all models--Tom

I found some to suit my 29 Chrysler from Paul Beck Vintage Supplies in the U.K. As I'm in Australia it made very little difference if I ordered from the UK or the USA I think frieght was a little better out of the UK. The ones I used had leather exterior with the metal strap interior 

When I had the original, 1923 vintage factory leather upholstery replaced in my 1923 Hupmobile touring car, I pointed out the problem with these straps to the Amish craftsman who was hand stitching my new leather upholstery. Once he understood how much strain would be put on these straps, and how important it was for them to hold firmly, he made new ones for me from heavy grain leather in matching black color, and added some kind of "super fabric" as a core. Very impressive looking, and very functional. 

I didn't alter the design at all, leaving the compression the same.  The car is basically "over powered" as it is, given the gearing.  I only run it 45 mph and she'll pull along in high from anywhere around 10 mph on up.

The task is done.  A Model T fan belt, a Speedy Stitcher and a hunk of scrap copper.  Should be good for another 40 years!

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

Have a look at the door check straps on a 1935/6 Ford  roadster or Phaeton, they look identical, and are available from most early Ford parts suppliers

Viv.

I just replaced a similar one on my 1930 Franklin.  I used part number 40-0536-70 from Steele Rubber products.  Worked well, but not cheap, though.  If I had to do again, I would try making one from United Pacific Part Number A9017, by inserting my own T-retainer, and securing with a pop rivet or some such thing.  Much more reasonable cost.

Dave,  No I am in Barnegat.  The guy in EHt I think bought that car from Doug Hull In North Jersey.  We will have to get together sometime .  I will bring my 31sedan