1935 Dodge KC throttle linkage?

jimy

Where does the throttle return spring go on my 1935 KC second series?   I just put it back together after having the manifolds off and I don't like the current setup (never paid much attention to it before).   I assume the black plate on the left side of the spring is NOT stock.  The right side of the spring goes thru the hole in the rod that I would think should have a cotter pin.  Seems like it is waiting for a failure.

I haven't had much luck googling for images.  I have seen a few pics that had a spring going back to the firewall.  Is that correct?

Does anyone know what is correct or have a good picture?

thanks,

Jim

IMG_3494.JPG

Yes, I did see an extra bit of rod with a hole in it where the cross shaft goes over the pedal (engine side of the firewall).  I don't see a spot where the other end of the spring might connect.  It almost looks like this rod should somehow connect to the starter mechanism to possibly bump the throttle when the starter pedal is pushed.  (haven't found a good picture for this area on the web yet)

For the moment I flipped the spring around and adjusted the bend on one side.  Seems to be working OK for the moment.  I do see several pics of old Dodges with a spring in that area and some that don't.  One had the spring going thru the eye of the cotter pin which seems sketchy to me.

Jim

Jim,

If you take a close look at mine, you will see my rod came into the throttle from the let's say drivers side, where yours comes through the passenger side.

Unless it was common practice back then, and "all" aftermarket mechanics pushed it in the whole the cotter pin should go in, I am thinking since we both have it effectively going through the same place on the carb, mine through the cotter pin, and yours through the whole, that may be correct......????

VPanza - What does yours look like?

Edited by Surf City '38
typo (see edit history)

3 hours ago, jimy said:

It does seem best to keep the spring where it is.  If something ever fails in the linkage to the pedal there is probably a better chance of the throttle returning to idle. 

Jim

Exactly!