Placement of trunk compartment trouble light

emmd61

This accessory first appears in the `64 literature. To reinforce Ed`s post the illustration is from the full size `68 accessories catalog but appears earlier in a smallish picture. Later accessory catalogs illustrate installation under the hood.

Arthur, how did you date your accessory. If by the package/box was there installation instructions which included mounting under the hood? Thanks,

Tom Mooney

img299.jpg

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

• 6 months later...
On 4/25/2018 at 9:22 AM, telriv said:

Mine is attached to the trunk lid in the original location of the standard trunk light.

I am reviving this thread as I would like to get one of these lights for my 1963 and would like to know where it is located and how connected. What telriv says makes sense from the little bit of info I have been able to get from other sources. I was told that you remove the standard trunk light and the reel out light connects into the orange wire where the old light did. I inspected my trunk light and it has a small black wire that is a few inches long which connects to the orange power wire. I have seen this same small black wire on reel out lights I have viewed online. I was also told that the light is attached by screws into clips that attach to the trunk lid. I have also seen lights online that have clips and screws. 

I would appreciate if there is anyone out there that can confirm or deny the things I have been told and/or add more info. A picture of the correct light or a picture of the light mounted to a trunk lid would be super. Thanks.

Bill

This auxiliary light option was not exclusive to the Riviera.  Different models had different trunk frames.  I think that the placement of the light could be left to the buyer/installer.  The only way to know for sure would be to find the original literature that came in the box.  

Just curious, I must be missing something, but why is the FACTORY picture which I posted above not an acceptable reference? Especially compared to where "who knows who" installed it on his/her car? It would make sense to locate the light in a central location. What am I missing?

Tom Mooney

On 4/25/2018 at 9:22 AM, telriv said:

Mine is attached to the trunk lid in the original location of the standard trunk light.

8 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

Saw this one at BCA Milwaukee. High scoring car but I’m not sure if the position of the light is correct 

6B61C512-5E5B-416A-8714-7547857F20DD.jpeg

On 4/24/2018 at 10:17 PM, 1965rivgs said:

This accessory first appears in the `64 literature. To reinforce Ed`s post the illustration is from the full size `68 accessories catalog but appears earlier in a smallish picture. Later accessory catalogs illustrate installation under the hood.

Arthur, how did you date your accessory. If by the package/box was there installation instructions which included mounting under the hood? Thanks,

Tom Mooney

img299.jpg

I don't recall that anyone has discounted any of the above references and said one is right and one is wrong. As you can see there are 3 quotes listed here with 3 different options. Tom T's placement on his car makes sense as the reel out lights have a small pig tail identical to the pig tail the standard trunk light plugs into. A central location also makes sense.  However, is what is right for 1968 going to be right for 1963(even though not an option), 1964, 1965 .1966 or 1967? It is removable so you can put it wherever you want.

I think the original reason of the thread and the reason of my reviving the thread is to gather information and gather as much information as they can before deciding on a course of action. I'm sure there are others that may benefit from the information  gathered here as they do on other threads. I don't think someone should be criticized for wanting to gather as much information as they can to find out what is correct and what is not. If I didn't care I wouldn't ask. It may well be that no one knows the answer but, I would like to ask first. I'll get the info I can and make an informed decision. 

Bill

33 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

Tom T's placement on his car makes sense as the reel out lights have a small pig tail identical to the pig tail the standard trunk light plugs into.

I think that Tom Mooney's post with a picture of the factory brochure would be pretty much right on..  That's where the factory advertised it; I would think that's where they intended for it to be installed.  Where other's have installed it is their choice.  Did they do it for convenience, because that where the instructions said to post it, or was it out of the way of other items in the trunk.  If no one is sure where it goes, what difference does it make.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

I think that Tom Mooney's post with a picture of the factory brochure would be pretty much right on..  That's where the factory advertised it; I would think that's where they intended for it to be installed.  Where other's have installed it is their choice.  Did they do it for convenience, because that where the instructions said to post it, or was it out of the way of other items in the trunk.  If no one is sure where it goes, what difference does it make.

Ed,

We could go back and forth about this forever. You and Tom think you are correct, I get that. Once again that brochure is from 1968 and what is correct in 1968 might not be correct for 1963-1967. Just as what is correct placement on a Buick is not correct for a Pontiac, Oldsmobile etc. Once again, no one has stated one way is right or wrong, just gathering info. In the end it may not make any difference at all but, I reserve the right to gather information and make an informed decision based on that information.

If anyone out there has constructive information on this topic I would like to hear what you have to say. Otherwise, I am  out.

Bill

Not criticizing you or anyone else Bill. As I suggested twice in my post, I thought that perhaps I had missed something in the thread.

BTW, I may have not chosen my words well in post #3. The illustration appears earlier than 1968 but I chose the `68 illustration because it was much larger than earlier versions and presented better upon scanning. The car looks like it may be a `64 or `65 Skylark? Good luck with the trouble light,

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Not criticizing you or anyone else Bill. As I suggested twice in my post, I thought that perhaps I had missed something in the thread.

BTW, I may have not chosen my words well in post #3. The illustration appears earlier than 1968 but I chose the `68 illustration because it was much larger than earlier versions and presented better upon scanning. The car looks like it may be a `64 or `65 Skylark? Good luck with the trouble light,

Tom

Thanks Tom.

1 hour ago, KongaMan said:

Seems strange that they would put such a short pigtail on a light that is supposed to be mounted a couple of feet away from the power source.  Would they really expect the installer to make a 2' jumper?

My standard trunk light has the same short pigtail with the orange power wire right there where the light is. I believe that you remove the standard light and replace it with the reel out light. I have been in contact with Tom T. (telriv). He stated that when mounting the reel out light he used the hole that was used to mount the original trunk light as one of the mounting holes and that the new light plugged into the original power wire.

Bill 

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

My standard trunk light has the same short pigtail with the orange power wire right there where the light is. I believe that you remove the standard light and replace it with the reel out light. I have been in contact with Tom T. (telriv). He stated that when mounting the reel out light he used the hole that was used to mount the original trunk light as one of the mounting holes and that the new light plugged into the original power wire.

Bill 

Revision of this post. What I said about the pigtail is correct. Tom T. (telriv) got back to me and said he had to recant what he said. He bought his light as an add on option 50 years ago and the memory was sketchy. He now remembers that he left the original trunk light in the upper right hand corner. The directions with the light directed him to put the light in the position shown in the pictures, I asked him what he did for power and will update as soon as I hear from him.

Bill

Over the years I have bought and installed these kits....but it has been a long time ago. They were very common to show up in the `80`s at most Buick swap meets.

The kits contained 2 different jumper harnesses. There were also 3 hex head screws and clips to accept the screws when installing the light under the hood. There were instruction sheets which covered various years but I dont remember any Riviera specific instructions. I think the instructions may have been relatively generic.

One harness was to install the light in the engine bay. It had an in line fuse and pulled power from the stud at the firewall which directs power into the fuse box. I probably still have a couple of these harnesses laying around somewhere...

The second harness was for installation under the trunk lid. It was simply an orange wire about 2  1/2 feet in length which plugged into the existing trunk light power source and provided enough wire to locate the reel out trunk light in a central or close to central position. I dont think it is possible to locate the light smack dab in the center of the Riviera trunk lid because the depression in the center of the support ribs is larger in diameter than the feet of the trouble light. I remember fishing the jumper harness thru the voids created by the support channels and thru one of the oval holes near the center. I cant remember if the install was on the drivers or passengers side.

There is an early version of this kit and a later version. It is entirely possible, even probable, that the kits I was installing were a later version of the trouble light with different components and installation guidelines and not the same kit as Tom T. installed in his `64. I would note, however, that the illustration I posted above dates back to `64, albeit, a different model and not the Riviera. 

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/24/2018 at 11:48 PM, RivNut said:

Most of those lights I've seen have been mounted on the inner trunk bracing right in the center of the "X

On 4/25/2018 at 5:17 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Tom Mooney

img299.jpg

On 4/25/2018 at 5:17 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Tom Mooney

img299.jpg

Hey Tom!

i see your post!

i have a couple of questions to!!

1: a couple of people say the lamp was only available from 64-70 is that right?

2: and the lamp was only for full-size cars! Is that right?

i have a 71 skylark and a friend give me this lamp.  I’m not sure to install this. 

This accessory is available as an option, or dealer installed for MANY vehicles, not only GM. 

I have one under the hood & one under the trunk lid on my '64 Riv.  The one under the hood has Red about half way around to sort of ADD as a warning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1