What to use to clean this?

nick8086

To attack mold, a mild bleach solution, or a product such as X-14 is usually quite effective.  Be sure to rinse thoroughly, because bleach is a strong base and is highly corrosive.  Don't forget to add a bit of the ol' elbow grease.

Let us know how it works out.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

I have had good luck with magic eraser from mr. Clean.  Just a little water and off it comes

NO bleach. Bad stuff.

It is staying wet. It won't happen if you garage the trailer.

There are products made for that. Brands we have include 30 seconds (which is expensive). You want a moss, mould and algae biocide, such as you might spray on your drive or clay tile roof. The one I use is called Bio Shield. https://www.mossremoval.co.nz/how-bio-shield-works.html

This stuff is bio-degradable. One should wear a respirator and gloves. I was told it breaks down in COTTON so wear cotton overalls. It doesn't harm plants. I have used it on the exposed aggregate concrete driveway, which gradually comes clean over a few months as the dead stuff is washed off. We have also sprayed it on our roof and it is coming clean now. The active ingredient is alkyl dimethyl benzyl amonium chloride, plus sodium carbonate. Other similar products contain a similar chemical. You could use it as a wash by hand or spray it on with the garden hose and wait for it to come clean.

2 hours ago, Wheelmang said:

I have always just used a power washer with a mild detergent that is for the siding on the house. The mold does come back but only about after 3 - 4 years. Pretty humid summers here in GA. 

A good pressure washing is just the ticket.

You may need to scrub on the second go round.

I LOVE THIS STUFF, WORKS GREAT !!  MOLD ARMOUR

this stuff comes in a hose end sprayer bottle, put nozzle on rinse, rinse down a side, then switch to spray, and spray on cleaner, let it sit a few minutes, then back to rinse and rinse off. just do NOT do it in direct sunlight or a hot surface.  do the southside of my house each spring. it also puts on a protective coating. VERY LITTLE SCRUBBING REQUIRED. 

i pick it up a home depot, like $9 a bottle and can do my backside of my little house with only ONE bottle.

yes it is that good and works IF you FOLLOW the directions !!  

• Like 1

That would come off easily with plain water and a scrub brush. Alternatively I would add some mild biodegradable dish soap to a bucket of warm water. And hose with nozzle giving a strong jet of water to rinse it off.

Then give your trailer a wax job, like you wax your car. Turtle wax or something similar.

• Like 1

5 gallon bucket with a good 3 second splash of bleach and a good squirt of Dawn.

Fill half full....With water. Soft, scub brush and watch it disappear.

Just did a boat that was almost black in some places.

Put on some old clothes. Shorts, Tee Shirt, Crocks on your feet.

For the tough spots. There is some stuff in a spray bottle called Joe Max that is BAD. Rubber gloves needed, BAD. Lowes sells it in NC.

Spray on. Stains and mildew disappear. Wash off.

Thats what I do.

Bill H

Edited by Bill Harmatuk (see edit history)

11 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

A lot of these cleaners are hypo (sodium hypochlorite) based with a surfactant & other additives(perfumes etc).  Read the label for the active ingredient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite

As 1939 Buick stated, several of the recommended cleaners contain sodium hypochlorite which is the active ingredient in household bleach.  Such cleaners include "30 Seconds",  "Mold Armor" and "Blackout".  Bleach solutions rapidly break down (95-98% into salt, oxygen and water) upon exposure to sunlight and/or the atmosphere.  Like anything else, household bleach solutions should be used with care.  I stand by my original recommendation on mold removal.

The bottom line is, however, just to use whatever works best for you.

Cheers,

Grog

Cleaners and dressings are a cautionary lesson I learned years ago. I bought a new 73 Charger and felt I should prevent the dash from fading and cracking .I got out my silicone spray and after spraying it on a rag, I began applying it to the dash. Some ran down on the imitation wood grain and completely removed the finish, bleaching it with white streaks! I had to order a new piece! I never used silicone spray again, other than in the chute of my snowblower!

52 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Sodium hypochlorite is pool chlorine. It is dreadful stuff for removing mould because it doesn't, fully.

Use a biocide to remove it completely and there will be no streaks or damage to the substrate. 

According to the Clorox site (Clorox is a leading household bleach brand in the U.S.) their household bleach product is:

" ... a solution of at least 6% sodium hypochlorite with a little sodium hydroxide and sodium carbonate to help buffer the solution and help maintain the product performance for up to a year. Under normal usage, it will quickly break down to 95–98% salt and water, and any remaining bleach will quickly react with components in your sewer or septic tank line."
Read more at https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/bleach-101/#0a0TU7DP3CwDMUok.99

For more years than I care to admit, I've successfully removed mildew, organic stains etc. from boats, convertible tops, awnings, bimini tops, cars, trucks and other stuff using common household bleach solutions. 

I have no experience with swimming pools; however, I have noticed that the beds of pool service pickup trucks die a premature death from corrosion caused (I assume) by concentrated pool water treatment chemicals.  Many useful and relatively benign diluted chemicals can be damaging/deadly in lethal concentrations.

Household bleach works for me.

Cheers,
Grog

On 4/22/2018 at 11:32 PM, nick8086 said:

It is now warm enough to work outside..

The car trailer may have mold??

IMG_1245.JPG

Once you get your trailer cleaned up to your satisfaction you should give serious thought to the following.

In the photo above, it looks like you trailer has a piece of metal trim at the edge of the rounded roof and the top of the side panels.  That metal trim channel is held in place by screws every so many feet. Many, many trailers have this trim including mine. The difference between your trailer and many trailers (including mine) is that your trailer seems to be missing the black, vinyl insert trim that should be in that channel to seal that channel and protect the screws and channel from moisture.  I suspect that part of your mold problem may be due, in part,  to water getting into that channel and just laying there. It may be just a coincidence that most of the mold is in and underneath that channel without the cover. That suggest that water is laying in that channel and promoting the growth of mold.

Here is a link to the  RV Insert Trim I am talking about. It shows the trim inserted in the channel. The price of this trim in this link is not very good.

You can get this trim from amazon  for much better prices. RV Insert Trim on Amazon.  It looks like you can get a roll of this trim from Amazon for less than $20 for 100 feet that would be enough to cover both of the top channels and both of the channels along the bottom edge of your trailer.

FYI, all of the channels like this on my trailer came from the factory with the black vinyl trim covering every, single channel on my trailer. 

Just some thoughts for you to consider.

Charlie

• Like 1

If you have mold growing on the drywall in your house you need to kill it with bleach or something similar, because it is actually growing on and in the paper in the drywall, using the organic matter there like a fertilizer. I had mold growing on the thick layer of "texture" coat that had been put on my house interior by the previous owner.

But this trailer is different. I would call it a thin moss layer that stuck onto the painted aluminum. There is no organic matter there for it to grow in. It can be just wiped off. If the paint were nice and glossy it would wipe off easily.

Moss can grow on an inorganic surface. 

I don have mold and dirt build up problem - My trailer and many others I veseen ( worse on white trailres) are the black vertical streaks that seem to come from some kind of reaction with horizontal  aluminum trim strip that runs along the top of trailer that joins the roof panels to the side skin. Over time the black streaks form . It is very difficult to get off. Magic eraser helps but will not thorughly clean it off. Many trailres have this streaking problem -. Any ideas ?  Cricket

2 hours ago, cricketkj26 said:

I don have mold and dirt build up problem - My trailer and many others I veseen ( worse on white trailres) are the black vertical streaks that seem to come from some kind of reaction with horizontal  aluminum trim strip that runs along the top of trailer that joins the roof panels to the side skin. Over time the black streaks form . It is very difficult to get off. Magic eraser helps but will not thorughly clean it off. Many trailres have this streaking problem -. Any ideas ?  Cricket

RV supply stores carry "black streak remover"  -- it's a common problem.

It may not be a big deal. We may have 1 inch hail tomorrow.

How much is a my H and H  trailer worth.  Not sure if I have the correct insurance on it..

Update : it missed us

Today.. Dark at 4pm  --- the weather serviced received reports of 80 mph winds and tennis ball-sized hail near Wymore ..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, nick8086 said:

Here is one more..

How to clean this??

It smells like diesel..

Need help before the wife gets home on Sunday..

IMG_6076.JPG

IMG_6077.JPG

Don’t even think about putting those in your home washer! They will leave a smell and possibly dirt that will remain for the next 5 loads and show up on her next load of whites. That comment is from experience! Local laundromat is my only resource for shop clothes. 

• Like 1