Swapping wheel covers on a 63

Adambravo

So, I picked up what I believe are a set of base wheel covers (see photos), for a different look than the wire wheel covers it came with. The notes in the owners manual have me a bit confused (see photo); any tips/tricks I need to know before I start anything?

4730E9AD-838E-493A-B48F-E4F6968C4816.jpeg

D1BA8744-84D0-4D50-93BF-81CFE9F621BC.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Adambravo said:

So, I picked up what I believe are a set of base wheel covers (see photos), for a different look than the wire wheel covers it came with. The notes in the owners manual have me a bit confused (see photo); any tips/tricks I need to know before I start anything?

What you have pictured that you are going to put on are the standard wheel covers. They go on and remove just like any wheel cover that you are used to. The 2nd listing is for the cast aluminum covers. Which are actually bolted to the wheel./rim You have to remove the center spinner to access the lug nuts and remove the wheel/rim. Then you unbolt the covers from the back of the wheel/rim. Make sure you actually have wire wheel covers before you try to remove your covers. If you have the cast aluminum you will break them if you try to pry them off like a normal wheel cover. The 3rd listing is for the wire wheel covers. These pry off like normal wheel covers. That being said be very careful when you remove them as they can be very stubborn. Applying too much force can damage them. I have found using a wider tool to remove them works better as it spreads the force to prevent damage. Avoid a tool with sharp edges. I have used a 2 inch wide pry bar with the edges/corners wrapped with duct tape. I recently purchased a wheel cover removal tool suggested by other forum members that works well. Be patient and be gentle. Also have a soft landing area under the tire as these are very heavy and can pop and drop when they do let loose if you are not ready to catch it. Hope this helps.

Bill

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adambravo said:

What you've picked up is a set of base covers for an Electra or a Lesabre.  Riviera co ers for 63 would have the same design, but the trishield in the centers would be all silver rather than red/white/blue.  The centers are interchangeable IF you can find a set.

• 2 weeks later...