HELP! Please ID this tubular front axle on my 1930 Dreyer built big race car. Thanks!

Dear AACA Family: I own this Pop Dreyer built circa 1930-34 sprint race car and would like to display a tubular front axle with it,like it originally has here. The first two photos taken in the early 30s with the last photo taken in the late 40s. Don Moore ordered the car new,and drove it until the early 1950s. Has Ford Front axle since WWII. I don't know if this original front axle is from a Franklin,Chrysler,or sourced elsewhere. I only want an exact copy. First,can anyone absolutely ID the make of the front axle? Second,does anyone know where I can buy one? Thanks! George Albright, Ocala,Fla.  email  gnalbright@gmail.com  cell 352 843 1624 weekdays 10-4 EST best

Dreyer Race Car Sprint Car #1

3 Attachments

dreyer#1.JPG

dreyer#2.JPG

dreyer#3.JPG

Definitely a Chrysler front axle even down to the double bolts thru the tierod ends. Probably either B or G series 70. Car looks like it has Buffalo wire wheels on the rear and it may have had the same wheels on the front originally. May I ask if they are type 4 or type 5, this should be marked on the side of the centre hub caps, if you unscrew a rear one. 

My G70 has 20 inch type HC4 buffalo wire wheels which were a rare option. I stand to be corrected but I believe the 80 series imperials had type 5 Buffalo wheels. This could help to ID whether the axle was from a 70 or 80 series car.

Viv.

3 hours ago, viv w said:

Definitely a Chrysler front axle even down to the double bolts thru the tierod ends. Probably either B or G series 70. Car looks like it has Buffalo wire wheels on the rear and it may have had the same wheels on the front originally. May I ask if they are type 4 or type 5, this should be marked on the side of the centre hub caps, if you unscrew a rear one. 

My G70 has 20 inch type HC4 buffalo wire wheels which were a rare option. I stand to be corrected but I believe the 80 series imperials had type 5 Buffalo wheels. This could help to ID whether the axle was from a 70 or 80 series car.

Viv.

As far as I know 80 series cars used Buffalo B5 wheels. The type where the removal tool latches into a recess in the cap and lifts the centre of the cap to unlock it. { the newest type of Buffalo center lock wheels}

Greg in Canada

RELATED QUESTION: Now that we know it is a Chrysler tube axle ( I had one I sold a few months ago) were there different sizes depending on what model used them? Did later ones have normal internal expanding brakes? These are stock Chrysler questions, not race car use questions. Thanks! Bob 

I can see that baby taking laps at the Fall, HERSHEY, Race Car Conditioning Run now! I would love to find a vehicle like that. What are your planning to do with the car? The early pictures look like they were so eager to get on the track, that they didn't even paint the car. I would guess at some time they "tweaked" the front axle and an early Ford axle was chosen. Do you have any race history on the car?

1937hd45, the parts book shows the model B and G series cars used the same front axle, but the series 80 has a different part number and is probably a stronger axle. One must never assume that early Chrysler parts are interchangeable from one model to another. Chrysler had a habit of changing parts in the middle of production years. The parts book shows virtually every model's axle has a different part number and the part numbers again can be different for export or RHD cars.

I have learnt the hard way, that parts may look the same but they can differ in sizes.

I stand to be corrected, but I think Chrysler used external contracting brakes until 1928 and then changed to internal expanding brakes in 1929

Viv.

4 hours ago, viv w said:

1937hd45, the parts book shows the model B and G series cars used the same front axle, but the series 80 has a different part number and is probably a stronger axle. One must never assume that early Chrysler parts are interchangeable from one model to another. 

I stand to be corrected, but I think Chrysler used external contracting brakes until 1928 and then changed to internal expanding brakes in 1929

Viv.

Thanks Viv! I'd like to find a 1929 or later Chrysler tube axle with the later internal expanding brakes. The one I sold a few months ago didn't have the spindles, but was nicely modified for Ford spring perches. Bob