1916 Buick Valve Cage update

redbaron1930

First off, a sincere thanks to all those who helped me through this "valve job". It has been re assembled and I started the car last weekend, it ran so rich that the carburetor could not maintain proper float level. I think with the valve train nice and tight now the engine is pulling good vacuum and the old carb settings were way off. The gas adjustment was very tight and I didn't want to force it, so I got it to run pretty well by closing down the air adjustment screw about 8 turns! ( my guess it was so loose that the high speed jet was opening at high idle). I'll see what's up with the gas adjustment screw  and give it a better adjustment soon. Even so the engine runs so much better than it did, I guess .018" guide to stem clearance can cause a problem! The rich running engine diluted the oil in a matter of 15 minutes, and after the engine cooled down I was able to re tighten all the cage nuts 1/8 - 1/4 turn. Thanks again for all the help, especially how to make the cage puller, that was key!

Andy

• Like 6

Andy,

I am happy to hear that things worked out OK.  I will trust that the one cage that we talked about was able to be machined so that the sealing ring and cage nut would work as they should.  You should post some photos on here for us.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

38 minutes ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Andy,

I am happy to hear that things worked out OK.  I will trust that the one cage that we talked about was able to be machined so that the sealing ring and cage nut would work as they should.  You should post some photos on here for us.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Terry;

Yes, I machined the top surface of the cage down about .070" and recut the 45 degree angle, and now it seals just like all the others. But I do suppose that the exit port of the cage sits .070" high as it always did in that cylinder.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Great progress.  Hopefully you will be able to start touring with your car.  That is the best!!

It's getting there, I have to change the water pump shaft next, it chews up packing quickly. I have to tighten the packing nuts after every time I start it.

15 minutes ago, redbaron1930 said:

It's getting there, I have to change the water pump shaft next, it chews up packing quickly. I have to tighten the packing nuts after every time I start it.

Need to get a stainless steel shaft made.  I double lip sealed both sides of the pump and no more water dripping or leaking.  :)

• Like 3

Andy,

I don't think that .070" mismatch in the port openings is going to cause breathing problems.  A lot of times when the cages would turn in the counter-bore, they would block off more of the port opening than that.  I'm thinking that you will be fine with things now.  Larry is right on about getting these cars out and driving them.  So much fun to be had in doing that.

Terry Wiegand

Out in Windy Doo Dah

• Like 1