Hemmings online article on future collectable cars

Barney Eaton

I have a bit of a different take on the lack of a mention about Reatta's. In my opinion, Reatta's are already collectible and should not be included in a list of future collectibles. Low mile convertible Reatta's are now going for over $20,000. ( right now there is a Reatta on EBAY listed at $27,900, and two other Reatta's going for $24,000 and another for $25,000 in other publications)  I don't care what the condition, a Pacer, Toyota Cressida, a 1988 Chevy Nova or a Jaguar XK8 will never get that kind of money. All the cars listed really are not getting any real money, a benchmark of collectibility. I see many higher mile Reatta Convertibles getting over $10,000 now, that is a huge improvement ever over 5 years ago. Another example, in an all Chevy car show a late 80's Nova would never win best Chevy in show regardless of condition yet my Reatta won Best Buick recently in a BOP show with over 100 other Buick's.  Bottom line, I think the Reatta is collectible right now and should not be on a list of possible future collectibles. 

• Like 3

I think Reattas are getting more recognition. I took my Reatta to a small car show Saturday. I was parked between a Camaro and a Big Block Chevelle. I think my Reatta got as much, maybe more, attention and questions than those cars did.  When the judges came by my car they asked lots of questions and all agreed that I had the rarest car there. (Maybe we should emphasize that more) At least they took the time to look at my car. That's an improvement. :lol:  As usual the awards went to Corvettes, '55-57 Chevys and pre-war custom hot rods.

I've been of the opinion that because so many people like and want the more recognizable cars, the different or less desirable are becoming more popular. Look at 4 door Bel Airs for one.For me I like all those Ronnie listed but my wallet doesn't. I can say for sure I'm not alone in that. Also I figured my laundry list of cars I want had to be narrowed down into what I can reasonable obtain. And upwards of 25k for an average Chevelle or similar car isn't worth it to me at this point. I Found out about the Reatta when I did a project in college on Brand Image and I was doing Buick. Looked it up on Craigslist and other sites and realized this is a car I can get and drive and it won't cost me an arm and a leg. The really rare ones of these cars are cheap compared to any Muscle car. As of now from my research ( Craigslist/ebay/ Facebook marketplace) there's two Gun metal grey 90 verts for 11500 plus that driftwood on ebay. What other car would you be able to buy three of the rarest color combos for the price of a nice 57 Bel Air? I was at a junkyard a year ago getting parts for my Lesabre and they had a 91 coupe grey on grey with the CD player and Sun roof 95k miles and the owner wanted a $1000 for it. Like that's a car that has under 1500 made period that year yet alone how many with those options.  Really wish I bought that. Last time I was at that yard in January it was gone. Guess my point is they're cool to the people who know of them and like them or don't want to spend the money for a recognizable to everyone car.

2 hours ago, kevmar said:

For me I like all those Ronnie listed but my wallet doesn't. I can say for sure I'm not alone in that.

You are definitely not alone. I probably wouldn't spend the money if I had it on a car to just take to car shows. I like to drive my cars too much for that. :) I paid a little money to get in the car show but it was more of a donation to a good cause than an entry fee.

All my cars get driven even the 'vert. For the first couple of years on the vert I tried to keep the miles under 2000 a year but now we just drive it when ever and where ever we want. My granddaughters are taking a liking to them and if they want them when I am gone, good for them. As far as I am concerned I bought my last cars, my wife will still get different cars  but I'm good.

I have no problem with over 100k Its just buying a car from someone you don't know with that much could be risky. But then again so could a very low miles car. Ive had my fair share of problems on my 98 Lesabre when I first got it with 77k. Granted old people don't drive too often so that lead to most of what I encountered.

Reattas are getting some attention of late, and prices appear to be going up.  I would caution that using the high dollar examples already cited upthread as good examples is probably misguided. I will be blown over with surprise if the driftwood 'vert gets the asking price of  $27,900.

I'm not knocking the car, I just have doubts it can fetch that price, at least on eBay. That's Barrett-Jackson level pricing there, and not too long ago they sold a near new select 60 'vert in the mid $20's, a bit shy of this driftwood roadster. I think asking nearly $28,000 is optimistic yet. Watch that one and see if it sells and if so what the selling price shown is. If it gets reduced for final sale, or goes through with no takers, that would bear out belief that we aren't quite at the point of getting into that level of pricing yet, even as an outlier.

There are several very nice coupes and roadsters on eBay presently listed from  around $7500 to $12,000 that have been repeatedly reposted  - some for months now - with no sale. And I have been watching to gauge where things are as well as where they are trending.

Another thing I'm seeing on eBay specifically is that sellers are using it to advertise, and then making a deal "offline" thereby bypassing eBay collecting the final value fees they charge as it remains unsold, so far as eBay (and any uninvolved casual observers) are aware. This, of course, is a violation of the terms of service but I am seeing it happen in several categories including vintage Hi-Fi and pinball/arcade games which I follow as well.

Basically, some of these sellers are using ebay for the wide exposure, but selling in transactions that are conducted outside of eBay so they can avoid the fees. One way they do this is to set the asking price so high no one is likely to bid. That gives them a safe buffer to get the exposure of a nationwide ad, while not getting nicked for whatever percentage eBay is charging for a successful sale. And if it does sell, well, they just got well more than expected so they win anyway.

In any case, some things to keep in mind lest we delude ourselves about pricing trends for tbe Reatta. 

People complain a lot about the Reatta not being on their favorite up an coming collector car list, but then are so quick to tell someone they overpaid for their Reatta, or say that a seller is asking way too much money for their car. 

Higher prices will make these cars noticed and more collectable. It's like your neighbor selling his house top dollar. Nobody complains when their property values go up... 

• Like 2

Houses are different from car.....in Texas and many other states.

When houses around you sell for more than you paid, your first reaction is to be overjoyed......until the next tax bill based on the property reevaluation.

We all want to buy low and sell high,  but have little control over those values.

Ronnie , while I daily drive my 89 Reatta and a 1976 MG Midget , I also attend cruise ins and shows.  I think the only way cars like these will continue to be bought and driven is through making people aware of them and how much fun they can be. I have spent time with many younger car nuts that were amazed how affordable parts are for my MG , a couple of who have bought their own.  My oldest son is now driving an 89 Reatta I gave him and is having a riot , not only because he loves the way it drives , but also because of the amount of people who come up randomly and talk to him about it.   If we care about stirring interest in these cars , we need to be out there with them , letting the younger car nuts see that there is alot more to these than a couple old grey hairs cruising at 5mph below the speed limit.   I am actually planning on entering the Reatta in a couple of the autocrosses that use a more open track that the Reatta should do well at.

Along those lines.......I drove the Reatta to the local community college where they were having area High  School competition in welding, woodworking, bodywork, and auto diagnostics.

Our club was ask to bring out some cars.  Even among the instructors, there were several comments that they had never seen a Reatta.

You can understand that 15-18 year old kids might not know about a car that was 27 years old..........another good reason to take your Reatta to a car show.   

3 hours ago, SteveT said:

Ronnie , while I daily drive my 89 Reatta and a 1976 MG Midget , I also attend cruise ins and shows.  I think the only way cars like these will continue to be bought and driven is through making people aware of them and how much fun they can be.

I agree.   I have noticed that people keep their distance when they first see my Reatta.  Then they sort of circle around trying figure out what it is.  I think they are reluctant to ask questions for fear of looking foolish.   Putting a flyer on the window has helped a lot.  They will read the flyer to find out what it is and then they get more interested and ask questions.  I'm working on a new flyer that will have information on it about the CRT and the touch screen . The CRT and luxury items are what seem to generate the most interest.  It being really bright doesn't hurt.  I never raise the hood unless I'm asked.  Not much there to see :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I never raise the hood unless I'm asked.  Not much there to see :)

I agree.  A raised hood just disrupts the design flow of the Reatta.  If I have to keep the hood raised at car shows, I usually only put it up about half way so that most adults are able to see the "R" emblem.  At cruise-ins, I usually place my Reatta's Monroney Sticker in the windshield to show just how expensive the Reatta was when new.  That usually draws conversations.  Reattas' were the most expensive Buick during their era...Rivieras' took their place after production ended.

PS: 86-93 Rivieras' are just down right ugly with their hoods up!   

• Like 1

I agree that getting the Reatta's out in the public goes a long way toward long term collectible status. True story. A few weeks ago we had a Concours car show here in Fountain Hills, I took my Jaguar. I met a gentleman that had 2 Gt 40's, a 2006 model and a new one. I asked him how you get on the list to get one of these beautiful cars. Just an aside, they do not sell these cars to anybody, you go on a list and they select people based on a certain criteria. As it turns out, one of the important factors to decide whether you can get a GT 40 is "are you planning on showing your GT40 if selected." Ford deems it VERY important that people that get these cars get them out there and are not sold to some rich collector that will buy it and stick it in a vault, never to be seen by the public. In the case of my guy, he takes his cars to all the major car shows and ever took one to Europe as well. He did 10 national car shows last year. 

This simple flyer on the window seems to generate more interest in my Reatta at cruse-ins. It seems to be an ice breaker that gives people a reason to ask about the car. Not sure it would be a factor at a car show where other Reattas are present. I apologize for the poor photo.

SAM_3998.JPG

• Like 2

I think my neck of the woods is pretty good about getting their Reattas out. I can't speak for 2seater and how many miles he puts on, but there are a couple of Reattas I see now and then driving around.

I may sound like I am bragging but here is how many miles I have put on my cars, not how many miles are on the car;

The Red 11 years  165,000 miles 

The Black 9 years 100,000 miles

The 'Vert 4 years 15,000 miles

That's 280,000 miles in 11 years or about 25,000 a year [and the year isn't up yet...]

• Like 1

On 4/18/2018 at 12:22 PM, Cargirl said:

I have a bit of a different take on the lack of a mention about Reatta's. In my opinion, Reatta's are already collectible and should not be included in a list of future collectibles. Low mile convertible Reatta's are now going for over $20,000. ( right now there is a Reatta on EBAY listed at $27,900, and two other Reatta's going for $24,000 and another for $25,000 in other publications)  I don't care what the condition, a Pacer, Toyota Cressida, a 1988 Chevy Nova or a Jaguar XK8 will never get that kind of money. All the cars listed really are not getting any real money, a benchmark of collectibility. I see many higher mile Reatta Convertibles getting over $10,000 now, that is a huge improvement ever over 5 years ago. Another example, in an all Chevy car show a late 80's Nova would never win best Chevy in show regardless of condition yet my Reatta won Best Buick recently in a BOP show with over 100 other Buick's.  Bottom line, I think the Reatta is collectible right now and should not be on a list of possible future collectibles. 

Indeed you are correct that Reatta is a collectible already.  Foretold many years ago! 

https://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/27/future-classic-1988-91-buick-reatta/

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Good job!

I changed the last paragraph a bit, thank you Ronnie!  I am going to get it laminated today. I have a three ring binder with Reatta articles, pictures fact sheets, photo's original paper work ect, it is 100 pages now!!  It is everything you ever wanted to know about the Reatta :)

28 minutes ago, Cargirl said:

I changed the last paragraph a bit, thank you Ronnie!  I am going to get it laminated today. I have a three ring binder with Reatta articles, pictures fact sheets, photo's original paper work ect, it is 100 pages now!!  It is everything you ever wanted to know about the Reatta :)

Although I can't read all of the last paragraph, I like what you wrote better than mine. When I make a new one (soon) I'm going to leave off the reason the Reatta was discontinued and I need something to replace it with. I wonder if the Reatta was the first two-seater Buick produced since the business coupes of the '40s?

Here is my version in PDF for your enjoyment. Please feel free to plagiarize it like I did yours!  :)  Yes, according to the article I got the from that Series 60 Business Coupe was the only other two seater by Buick. I can send you the whole article if you would like to take a look at it. I thought adding a trivia tidbit at the end would encourage the reader to finish reading once they started, car people just love that sort of thing.

Ronnie04272018.pdf