1908 Model 10 Coming Up For Auction

midman

Chuck, I will find out at "Brass at Berks" on the 20th of May. When I left at 1:00 the family was mulling over the top bid of $15,000. The Car-Nation topped out at $9,000 which the family would not accept. I heard them tell the auctioneer that more money was paid for the cars than the top bids. So the auctioneer moved on to other things. I got tired of waiting so we left with both cars a NO SALE at that time. We arrived at the auction around 11:00 am. I was wanting to get the back story about the car from the family. The feeling I got was that they did not wish to speak about the car unless you were the purchaser. I was thinking that the cars would be sold at noon.  While taking the photos I am posting and speaking to 3 other interested individuals until 12:30 when they actually started to sell the cars.  Our groups agreement was that the car was not a 1908 but a 1910 according to the 13058 Engine #. (1908 Model 10 engine #s range 1- 4002) The rear fenders were straight instead of curved as are 1908s.  Many clues indicated that this car was in need of competent repair. Many things seemed to be just quickly cobbled on for the sale. Parts were loose and it seemed that whatever fasteners were handy held some things on. Lots of Phillips screws! There was a section with fresh paint that was still tacky. Many incorrect items. The sale bill described it as a "Nicely Restored Car". Auctioneer tried to start bidding at $20K and things quickly dropped to $5,000 (at this point I wished I had gotten a bidders number) then up to $10,000 in $1,000 increments. After 10K then $500 jumps. Stalling at $15,000. Having picked apart the car one thing I was truly impressed with was the upholstery. I am confident it was the original 1910 leather. Very little wear and HEAVY material with the edges correctly formed over the top edges of the body.

DSCF6651.thumb.JPG.ea0c07e45bf5a895fd875d88b716feb4.JPGDSCF6653.thumb.JPG.d64b856693439c65d7b354ad880c2d0a.JPG

Incorrect headlights, side lamps, radiator and the shell was made up in sections.      No tail light.

DSCF6652.thumb.JPG.3a9fd9ba83bde7bdfcbeabffb83791ca.JPGDSCF6660.thumb.JPG.f603e4b5f190dc88c8806b968f93f8ed.JPG

Angle iron fan support and oiler box missing if it was to be a 1908. Note modern 6V coil strapped to firewall. It did have a REMEY magneto.

DSCF6656.thumb.JPG.9346558ad6b1999bd8f1dab9eeaaab86.JPGDSCF6654.thumb.JPG.fff3b0dd2d36804a809b5bb9e3d897ea.JPG

Correct spark and throttle controls.                                           Non REMY coil box. Philips screws on brass trim.

The spider of the steering wheel was bent the entire steering system was loose.

Note the oil sight glass is mounted upside down.

Running boards had door mat carpeting.DSCF6664.thumb.JPG.c164dcd75a0bdfbdceb8c0e2b35f4fcc.JPG

Auctioneer trying to SELL. The Car-Nation to the left. One bidder is in the right side of the photo with arms folded.

The 3 interested people I spoke with, (one a bidder) agreed that it would take about $5,000 to make it a reliable driver.

DSCF6663.thumb.JPG.4477c3ae33954da4c48e109ab2e65728.JPG

Still,  IMO I would love to have it!

DSCF6655.JPG

DSCF6657.JPG

DSCF6658.JPG

DSCF6659.JPG

DSCF6661.JPG

DSCF6662.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I most certainly made sure the engine turned over. They made no effort to start either car at auction time. Gee, even when they are trying to sell a lawn mower they let people know it runs by starting them! Again to me the descriptor "Nicely Restored Car" means a running car!

• Like 2

The model 10 is pretty, painted correct colours and upholstery, many nice original features and a nice buy IMO.  However and I can't believe I am writing this down if a person compares size, comfort, power, top speed and mostly parts supply buy a Ford.  Gary

Left to right pedals are Reverse Slow Brake

slow is Low. Depress for low gear

all pedals untouched is neutral

hand levers are parking brake with release button other lever is High

so give it some gas as you depress the slow pedal. After a bit of speed like 5 to 8 mph, release the slow pedal and apply the high lever froward and away you go

• Like 2

Thanks Brian! I imagine all of the Buick 2 speed planetaries worked like this?

Also, is it like the T in that if the High lever is left forward, you can slightly depress the Slow pedal to go to neutral (all bands released) and then continue pressing to go into Slow? And then back out to go back into High? Or are the lever and pedal exclusive?

I assume the little floor button on the left side is an exhaust cutout.

Cheers, Dave

I dont remember if high is engaged in the forward or back location. When not engaged it is in neutral.

Feet off the pedals the entire car is in neutral. Depress the slow pedal to start off and if you are clever, you can make a really smooth 1 to 2 "shift" by slowly engagning the high handle while easing off the slow pedal while you also work the throttle to match engine speed.

It can be tricky while you steer too.

After some practice I could make the transition very smooth.  Almost like a Buick Dynaflow.

I had a '10 Model 10 Surrey

• Like 4