How many 16V's are still operational?

Reaper:  I think that is a judgement call for you to make, depending on how close it is to operational.

Garnet:  Thanks for the insight and for keeping the VIN file up-to-date.  I did not realize that there is a very recent update available until your comment made me look for it.  By the way, I have one entry to add:  

202220 1989       Royal Cabernet  Ginger   Tan

DOHC

This is not the perfect way of voting, but it may be sufficient with some adjustment at the end for people who own multiple 16V's, etc.  I discovered that I can't vote on my own post, so we will have to adjust for that as well.  But let's give it a try - the results may be illuminating.

So it looks like the total right now stands at 20 (5 “likes”, 3 more for multi-car owners, 1 for my car, 3 additional reported by Reaper, 8 additional reported by Garnet).  That makes the 16V quite rare.

As a matter of background, I bought my 1989 16V new.  She is still in nearly-new condition after 22,400 miles.  The only repairs I have had to make were to replace the radio and one tire.  I have used her mostly to joyride on the Blue Ridge Parkway with the top down, and to take her to shows.  There were never any recalls.  I am sure that I will be able to sell her for more than I paid for her new, and the longer I keep her, the more valuable she will be.  This is an amazingly good car – after almost 30 years of ownership: no depreciation, almost no repair costs, still beautiful, still fun as hell to drive, now rare, and the most comfortable and reliable car that Maserati ever made.  But of course I am still in love …

• Like 3

Hey Midnight Cruiser, good question and funny that you have 202220 I just purchased 202221 and it matches yours, my car was first purchased in Seattle Washington and has stayed local it has 55000 miles and runs perfectly. This is number 3 TCs for me. keep counting i am very interested in all the running 16V's.

Silvertree:

Good to hear from you and congratulations on your purchase.  It's interesting that the two cars have sequential VINs and match.  My car just won a trophy at a local car show over the weekend!

My car is in Columbia, SC, so I doubt the two will get to meet.

Edited by Midnight Cruiser
typo correction, additional info (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Silvertree said:

Hey Midnight Cruiser, good question and funny that you have 202220 I just purchased 202221 and it matches yours, my car was first purchased in Seattle Washington and has stayed local it has 55000 miles and runs perfectly. This is number 3 TCs for me. keep counting i am very interested in all the running 16V's.

Well, that officially makes the closest two VIN's! LOL Can't get any closer than that!

Silvertree...I see you say you're in Seattle? Have any interest in meeting up with a fellow TC owner sometime?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 3:15 PM, Reaper1 said:

There's way more than that. I know of at least 3 more that haven't responded to this thread and may not be on here.

Hi there everyone, I read this thread and decided to create an account for the 16V in my family.  I believed my father purchased this car in 2015, 19,900 original miles currently, Cabernet/Bordeaux, just to clarify all of 500, (501?) these cars came with the getrad 5spd correct?  Car resides in Western NY currently, originally sold in California.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have an 8v car that I had a 16v engine transplanted into.  My current car is VIN 202012.  The donor car's VIN ended in 204351.

Whether it is actually running at the moment is unknown.  I have been in Afghanistan since last summer and won't lay eyes on my baby again until September 1--give or take a few days.

• Like 1

I have been driving my 16V TC regularly this summer here in southeast Michigan.  Red/ginger with 42k miles.  I'm a TC club member so it should be in the registry.  Just put on new rims for a bit sportier look.  A few more repairs (radio which only has 1 speaker working and a linkage issue with the right wiper) and it will be perfect. 

TC-new-rims-May2018.jpg

I don't put TC America, Inc. member TC's in the registry.  I would not put that information in there without their permission.  Some people don't even tell Karleen about their TC when they become members.  They don't always indicate colors, VIN, mileage or any information.  So if you want it in the registry I keep here, please let me know or post it to this thread.  The TC is a beauty.

Sincerely,

Bob

So, Rusty Wrench, why have you not read my message to you, the envelope at the top right of your page next to the bell!

Click on the message link... You asked for help with the shifter sticking between 4th and 5th gear.

I have sent you the information on the adjustments that can be made to correct your problem if it is cable related.

I'm not sure if it's on the list (or where the list came from) but unfortunately my dad passed away two months ago and left me his 16V.

He loved his TC, I plan on taking good care of it for him. VIN# ZC2FR1100KB203707 , build #1386 , about 10,000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha everyone,

I'd like to report another 16v  #204483 running and back on the road.....that was until last Friday (7/ 13) when I tried to extract the broken bleed screw from the thermostat housing.

The housing cracked and now I am in need of a new/used one. I have been searching the AACA forums and a fellow (acannell) produced new ones in 2014. I have been unable to contact him through his email or website listed in the AACA forum. Is there any member that can help me locate a new/used housing? My heart is as broken as the housing.

Thank you for your time,

Richard

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 2:27 PM, Hemi Dude said:

So, Rusty Wrench, why have you not read my message to you, the envelope at the top right of your page next to the bell!

Click on the message link... You asked for help with the shifter sticking between 4th and 5th gear.

I have sent you the information on the adjustments that can be made to correct your problem if it is cable related.

Hi Hemi, could you please send me the same info to fix a difficult 4th to 5th shift? Happes to me about 1/4 of the time going to 5th.  Thanks

1 hour ago, Does185 said:

Hi Hemi, could you please send me the same info to fix a difficult 4th to 5th shift? Happes to me about 1/4 of the time going to 5th.  Thanks

I have sent you what you requested in 'messages'  If you need further help, let me know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Just dropped in after a long absence.  So the count of 16v runners is still less than 40? 

I know they were rare to begin with AND it has been 30 years since the TC first hit the dealerships but I still didn't expect a 99% kill rate!

To celebrate my baby's 30th birthday, I got her an oil change, tune up and a full detailing.  I even had the a/c rebuilt!