Paint Color Opinions

Mytronic

Hey everyone!

I am currently restoring a 1958 Edsel Sedan and I am not too sure what to do with the paint color. 

The original colors are Gold (Body), White (Roof), and Black (Scallop) but I am not a fan of those colors. Would it be wrong to choose other colors for it? I do want to eventually put it in local shows but I am worried changing the colors would be frowned upon. If I do pick another color for it I would pick colors that Edsels would have came in to keep it some what true. 

Any opinions are welcome! Please let me know what you think. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

General suggestion on paint: if you are going to change colors from the original, get a sales brochure and see what colors the manufacturers chose for your model. A great deal of time and money is spent on deciding these original colors for maximum sales, and, generally, those colors remain the most popular, for that model, today.

• Like 2

Hi, I am an Edsel owner a member of both the International Edsel club and Edsel owners club, and  an AACA member. Edsel's are a very rare car as only 118,000 were built over three model years. The number of cars that remain road worthy today are probably fewer than 10k. If you are are going to show your car at Edsel meets, these guys will pick up very quickly on the paint if it's not correct, and it will cost you show points. The Edsel people are a great group of folks who can look at a data plate tag and recite what every letter and digit represents in triplicate, without referring to a book. Tri color Edsel's are rare on small series, but less rare on Corsairs and Citations. With that being said, it's your car. The first person you need to make happy is yourself. As an Edsel enthusiast I have one Edsel that was all white from the factory. I painted the roof and cove red and it looks much better... But it's not original. I just had a buddy sell his 58 Edsel Pacer press car on eBay and it sold for $28,500. It was repainted the wrong shade of green and it probably cost him at least 10- 12k maybe more. Paint work is expensive so make sure you understand what is important to you before pull the paint gun trigger. Hope this helps.

Hank Davis

• Like 3

I agree with Harold that if you want to pick another color keep it authentic to your car. I've seen so many nice cars for sale with the wrong colors or combinations or incorrect interiors and to me, it's a liability in selling. Few serious buyers want to go through the trouble of repainting after spending good money on a fair car. 

• Like 1

" A great deal of time and money is spent on deciding these original colors for maximum sales, and, generally, those colors remain the most popular, for that model, today."  Does that apply to Edsels too?  So did it work for them or against them?  

My first Edsel was a 1958 Pacer 2 dr ht. It was color code GEE, Horizon Blue and Snow White, with red and white interior.

When it was restored, it went back as factory original even as the restorer wanted me to change the colors.

I felt as going back as per factory delivered, it did justice to the car.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom99 said:

My first Edsel was a 1958 Pacer 2 dr ht. It was color code GEE, Horizon Blue and Snow White, with red and white interior.

When it was restored, it went back as factory original even as the restorer wanted me to change the colors.

I felt as going back as per factory delivered, it did justice to the car.

Hi Tom, that was very rare but not as unusual as you might think. Edsel did some red and black exterior colors and turquoise and white interiors. I also saw pictures of a Bermuda wagon with simulated cow hyde interior. Jonquil yellow and gray exterior Pacer convertible with red and white interior. The 50's were fun and with few boundaries. 

Hank

Not getting in the original verses modified color discussion; only you can decide what you can live with.

Just my opinion, The body and roof combination, that your car has; look great on that car.

The (scallop), I too am not crazy about the black; consider just making the scallop white.  It seems to change the whole look of the car, in my opinion. But I don't own the car.

intimeold