Recommended Posts

Gents, I had a devil of a time where I could put the kill switch. I put the switch in the bottom of the ash tray. If I put a coins in the bottom that would help keep the switch out of sight.

Red Riviera Bob

CD564A7C-BCED-473C-968A-9515BB2E5053.jpeg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Schmiddy said:

Haha, very cool! ...you're kind of Mr. Q, hm?!  (...the guy who build James Bonds gadgets :lol:) Great idea!

 

Schmiddy, car thieves are every where. It just seems the thieves in central Maryland can steal baking soda out of biscuit without breaking the crust.

thank you

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob,

just fill it full of butts and dog ends, no one would bother to search in there. Might smell a bit though!

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

 

BTW, the switch I fitted works very well, fools me a couple of times when it won’t fire cos I forgot to switch it off!

I would tell ya all where mine is fitted, but I’d have to kill ya!

 

But tis in dees photos,  somewheres! The small toggle switch under the dash is for changing AM/FM.

 

9E942EBF-D127-4720-B70B-73C4BD7E4C17.jpeg

E9E86094-D080-49F1-AA28-4BD4211EB3B1.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Schmiddy, car thieves are every where. It just seems the thieves in central Maryland can steal baking soda out of biscuit without breaking the crust.

thank you


Oh my gosh... That sounds pretty skillfull! Hoping they will never discover that secret switch!
I know that some of them are looking into ash trays while hoping to find some  remnants of joints or marijuana :ph34r::blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Bob,

just fill it full of butts and dog ends, no one would bother to search in there. Might smell a bit though!

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

 

BTW, the switch I fitted works very well, fools me a couple of times when it won’t fire cos I forgot to switch it off!

I would tell ya all where mine is fitted, but I’d have to kill ya!

 

But tis in dees photos,  somewheres! The small toggle switch under the dash is for changing AM/FM.

 

9E942EBF-D127-4720-B70B-73C4BD7E4C17.jpeg

E9E86094-D080-49F1-AA28-4BD4211EB3B1.jpeg

Do you have a power antenna?  Basic AM radio didn't come with a power antenna but you've got a switch in that position. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RivNut said:

Do you have a power antenna?

 

That's what I was looking at: install a courtesy light switch in that position.  For the 64, you could use the ACC position if you don't have a defroster.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've wired kill switches into the cig. liter circuit. Push in the liter kills ign. Pull liter up one notch ign. on.

Have ALSO installed a starter dis-abler. Used a H/Duty push button switch mounted under the rug.using the purple wire from the starter. Crank by depressing switch. When in the up position starter won't crank. Mounted under the rug NO ONE will see or even know it's there.

 

 

Tom T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, telriv said:

I've wired kill switches into the cig. liter circuit. Push in the liter kills ign. Pull liter up one notch ign. on.

Have ALSO installed a starter dis-abler. Used a H/Duty push button switch mounted under the rug.using the purple wire from the starter. Crank by depressing switch. When in the up position starter won't crank. Mounted under the rug NO ONE will see or even know it's there.

 

 

Tom T.

Tom, outstanding engineering. Only way a thief could get the Riv is if they towed the car away. The cigarette lighter kill switch is technically superior to my installation. I will claim my location in the ash tray is a solid honorable mention.🤓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Do you have a power antenna?  Basic AM radio didn't come with a power antenna but you've got a switch in that position. 

Ed, Well, my 63 Riv has an AM radio with power antenna now. Of course, the radio could have been replaced or the antenna added. I’ll see what codes are on the Trim tag.

RRB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, telriv said:

I've wired kill switches into the cig. liter circuit. Push in the liter kills ign. Pull liter up one notch ign. on.

Have ALSO installed a starter dis-abler. Used a H/Duty push button switch mounted under the rug.using the purple wire from the starter. Crank by depressing switch. When in the up position starter won't crank. Mounted under the rug NO ONE will see or even know it's there.

 

 

Tom T.

This would be similar to the signal seeking switch on a Wonder-Bar radio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Ed, Well, my 63 Riv has an AM radio with power antenna now. Of course, the radio could have been replaced or the antenna added. I’ll see what codes are on the Trim tag.

RRB

Bob,

 

I mis-spoke.  The electric antenna was available with the standard D1 coded AM radio.  Your trim tag will not show this options as it was not installed at the Fisher Body plant but rather during final assembly.  It would only show up on an original build sheet or window sticker.  The D on your trim tag indicates that provisions were made for a radio - installation of the speaker between the seats in the Fisher Body shop. If the trim tag were to show installation of a radio, the trim tag would have to read D1, D2, D3, or D4.  Depending on whether there was the AM, AM w/ power antenna, AM Wonderbar, or AM Wonderbar w? power antenna.  At the time of my reference, apparently AM/FM was not yet an option.

 

Ed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Schmiddy said:


Oh my gosh... That sounds pretty skillfull! Hoping they will never discover that secret switch!
I know that some of them are looking into ash trays while hoping to find some  remnants of joints or marijuana :ph34r::blink:

Maryland passed a law allowing marijuana use for medicinal purpose only. Driving and smoking marijuana I would suppose limit a persons driving skill. I guess I should fill the ash tray with coins hoping the theif would be satisfied with parking meter coins.

RRB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For you guys with 63's mount it in plain sight where no one would think to look.  Mount a fake rear window defroster switch.  Right between your wiper switch and the headlight switch. You might have to mount a vent on the package tray to complete the illusion.  

 

Image result for 1963 buick riviera console

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the switch really hidden if there is picture of the location on the internet? Maybe I am just overthinking about it

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, abandg said:

Ed try and find a 63 rear defroster switch and let me know. Gene.

😁

 

I know, the proverbial hen's tooth.

 

Or you could use any on/off rotary switch and attach a similar knob to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RivNut said:

Do you have a power antenna?  Basic AM radio didn't come with a power antenna but you've got a switch in that position. 

 

Ed, you are sharp!  I didn’t like having the spare space under the dash anyway and filled it with a switch. 

 

A good friend of mine did that on several cars, filled up any holes with a simple switch. He called them his “nothing switches” cos the did nothing! 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kegart said:

Is the switch really hidden if there is picture of the location on the internet? Maybe I am just overthinking about it

 

 

Kegart, you are correct the switch is no longer a secret. I did consider who would see the post. The purpose of the switch is to thwart the thief who just walked by and thought at that second this would be a good car to steal. The thieves that would really want it would load it in a van or roll back in no time flat. In addition to the switch I use the old fashion “Club” lock on the steering wheel.

You are correct. The switch is no longer hidden. When I’m away from home the car has a log chain with lock around the chassis and my four post lift in the garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RivNut said:

Bob,

 

I mis-spoke.  The electric antenna was available with the standard D1 coded AM radio.  Your trim tag will not show this options as it was not installed at the Fisher Body plant but rather during final assembly.  It would only show up on an original build sheet or window sticker.  The D on your trim tag indicates that provisions were made for a radio - installation of the speaker between the seats in the Fisher Body shop. If the trim tag were to show installation of a radio, the trim tag would have to read D1, D2, D3, or D4.  Depending on whether there was the AM, AM w/ power antenna, AM Wonderbar, or AM Wonderbar w? power antenna.  At the time of my reference, apparently AM/FM was not yet an option.

 

Ed

Ed, did ever hear the 45 rpm record player made for under the dash installation. I saw and heard a car record player in a 1955 or 56 Chevy in the 63-65 time frame in Los Angeles. The record player looked like a chrome bread toaster.The record player worked amazingly well, but it would mess up if you had a lot of bumps in the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something labeled and so obvious would probably never be looked at twice.  Hidden in plain sight. To see if the car had an electric antenna, you'd need to pull the mounting plate from the inner fender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RivNut said:

For you guys with 63's mount it in plain sight where no one would think to look.  Mount a fake rear window defroster switch.  Right between your wiper switch and the headlight switch. You might have to mount a vent on the package tray to complete the illusion.  

 

Image result for 1963 buick riviera console

Another great idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Ed, did ever hear the 45 rpm record player made for under the dash installation. I saw and heard a car record player in a 1955 or 56 Chevy in the 63-65 time frame in Los Angeles. The record player looked like a chrome bread toaster.The record player worked amazingly well, but it would mess up if you had a lot of bumps in the road.

Yep, a buddy of mine had one in his 56 Ford.   I'm not sure but I think his was made by Phillips. I graduated in 65 and he had this in his car around that time.  It did have a tendency to skip when he would hit a bump. The worst part was the scratch it put into the record.  When we got college, he installed an early 4 track player in his car. Couldn't buy cassettes for it so he'd have to record stuff himself from our collection of LP's.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Yep, a buddy of mine had one in his 56 Ford.   I'm not sure but I think his was made by Phillips. I graduated in 65 and he had this in his car around that time.  It did have a tendency to skip when he would hit a bump. The worst part was the scratch it put into the record.  When we got college, he installed an early 4 track player in his car. Couldn't buy cassettes for it so he'd have to record stuff himself from our collection of LP's.

Now, an 8 track cassette recorder and blank cassettes were items I never saw. I did see bootleg 8 track cassettes at country fairs and offbeat outlet stores. I would imagine you guys were resourceful to put our hands on a recorder AND record from a 33 1/3 side. Best I could do was record from one reel to reel to another.

RRB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Maryland passed a law allowing marijuana use for medicinal purpose only. Driving and smoking marijuana I would suppose limit a persons driving skill. I guess I should fill the ash tray with coins hoping the theif would be satisfied with parking meter coins.

RRB


Right, we have this law in Switzerland too (medicinal purpose only). But they say never drive while medication! Of course it limit the driving skills, no question! You can say goodbye to your license for few months if the police test you on positive THC in your blood (mostly they test your urine, 'cos its less invasive).

But the coin-strategy sounds very ingenious!  :D;) 

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now