1940 56s waterpumpremoval

-morten-

Morten:

Yes it is possible. I have done it many times on mine.

1. Drain system and remove upper radiator hose.

2. Disconnect heater hoses, if any, and lower radiator hose from pump end.

3. Remove the 2 bypass/thermostat housing bolts, loosen clamp to short bypass hose on bottom of housing, separate from cyl head and work out of top of hose

4. Loosen gen bracket hold bolts, loosen belt, and remove from car

5. Tape a piece of cardboard over the radiator surface to protect it

6. Remove the inner bolt on the pump to block fitting and loosen the outer one

7. Loosen the center bolt and work it out, you will have to work it out around the fan

8. Remove the loosened block fitting bolt

9. Remove from car, carefully working it up and over the top of the engine.

Notice I did not remove the fan. It's a bit tricky if you haven't done it before and having somebody help does ease the process, but I have done it myself a lot. On our 1940 cars, you have to remove the pump before removing the radiator, so that approach won't work in our case.

Good luck, Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Morten:

Yes it is possible. I have done it many times on mine.

1. Drain system and remove upper radiator hose.

2. Disconnect heater hoses, if any, and lower radiator hose from pump end.

3. Remove the 2 bypass/thermostat housing bolts, loosen clamp to short bypass hose on bottom of housing, separate from cyl head and work out of top of hose

4. Loosen gen bracket hold bolts, loosen belt, and remove from car

5. Tape a piece of cardboard over the radiator surface to protect it

6. Remove the inner bolt on the pump to block fitting and loosen the outer one

7. Loosen the center bolt and work it out, you will have to work it out around the fan

8. Remove the loosened block fitting bolt

9. Remove from car, carefully working it up and over the top of the engine.

Notice I did not remove the fan. It's a bit tricky if you haven't done it before and having somebody help does ease the process, but I have done it myself a lot. On our 1940 cars, you have to remove the pump before removing the radiator, so that approach won't work in our case.

Good luck, Dave

great, i try that.

just a little consered that you have done this many times. are the waterpumps short lived?

Morten,

If you want to pull the radiator the hood has to come off. The hood's a little dynamic once loose so it's best to do with 3 people, one on the front. The grille does not have to come off. The top piece over the radiator is part of the shell and front clip and does not come off. To remove the radiator, pull the water pump and remove the hood. Then take out the bolts holding the radiator on to the shell and lift up and back towards the top of the engine. It takes 2 people although I have been told that back in the day 1 mechanic with a strong back could do it standing on the front bumper.

I think I have had the pump out 8 times that I can remember. First time to get the radiator out to try to clean it, second time to replace the radiator (shoulda just done that right away), third time for the ring job, fourth time to replace with a rebuild, fifth time to have the rebuilt rebuilt (failed bearing), sixth time to send the rebuilt back for a warranty repair of another failed bearing, seventh time for yet another rebuilt pump, eighth time to remove the radiator to put an electric fan on the front. Maybe I forgot a couple. A friend told me to put a zipper on it for easier replacement! I get water pump gaskets in the 20-pack...

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

eighth time to remove the radiator to put an electric fan on the front.

is it possible to remove one half of the grille and strip an electric fan to the to bars in front of radiator?

36 minutes ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

I have been told it is possible to remove the grilles without pulling the radiator but have not done it myself. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

Cheers, Dave

i can reach 7 bolts holding one grille half from underneath the car with my hand (and problably also a spanner). and 3 philip screws from the front of car.

think it should be possible to fiddle in a fan and attached it to the two steel bars in front of radiator. not so fond of the strips you use to attach the fan directly to the radiator.

Edited by -morten- (see edit history)

I think i was verry lucky with size and shape of electric fan. I just slide it up in front of radiator (did not remove a thing), and pressed it between the steel bars in front of radiator, and it stuck! It sits nicely jammed between the bars 10mm in front of radiator cores. Used four plastic strips just to be safe.

20180421_102841.jpg

Edited by -morten- (see edit history)

Very nice! I had to remove the radiator to put mine in. I also got a thermostatic switch on ebay and put the probe up against the radiator body and that runs the fan when needed, I also put in an override to make it run constantly when I want. That all drives a relay since the fan pulls over 10A.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1