Anything special about steering box to frame bolts?

John_Mc

Guys I know the bolts securing the steering box to my '37 Zephyr frame are not right as the don't even tighten up against the frame, rather the bolt's head sticks out from the frame about 1/2".  They have about 3/4" of thread that ends with a shoulder.  They have a "Rube Goldberg" look about them and can't be correct.

Anyone know what these would be for???  What is correct and where to get them??  Will any 8-grade bolt with a washer work??  Want to be correct and safe.  Thanks.

steering box bolt.JPG

Edited by John_Mc (see edit history)

Probably not the correct ones.  You have to tighten the housing of the steering box against the frame.  When I replaced mine on my '41 Zephyr I replaced the bolts with stainless ones as I've done all over the car to minimize rust issues.  I think they were either 5/16 or 3/8 bolts, about 3 inches long.  Best to get some new bolts at least 3/4 inch shorter than the ones you are using with lock washers to keep the whole thing tight.  Take an old bolt to the hardware store or bolt store to get the proper thread.  These cars mix fine and regular threads on different parts.  

Edited by Ray500 (see edit history)

I just had a thought.  Because these bolts do look like they are from that era, could there be a spacer the I'm missing that fits between the bolts and the body/frame on the 1937 Zephyr???  Something like this?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by John_Mc
picture added (see edit history)

Not sure John.....need a 37 parts book to check it out.  For sure the steering gear box needs to be firmly attached to the frame.  If a spacer is needed you will notice the pitman arm not lining up with the linkage if there is a spacer missing.  Try calling Chris Harrel at Boos Harrel to see if he has  parts list showing the components of the steering box and it's associated hardware.  His number is (215) 965-8296 (877) 354-0807 .  He also has a catalogue that shows most things from 36-48 you can download and look at.  

John, I have the May 1946 Chassis Parts Catalog that covers the 1936-1942 Lincoln Zephyr and it calls for 3/8"-16 x 3/4" bolts with lock washers and nuts to ho;d the steering housing to the frame for the 36 and 37. It also calls out 3 - 3/8-16 x 1-19/32 bolts to hold the steering gear case to the frame for the 36, 37, and 38 Zephyrs. My guess is that there were 2 styles of housings, with one having thicker mounting bosses than the other, as I cannot find a listing for a case and yours would take the longer 1 1/8" bolt.

The part that you showed in a photo is a frame reinforcement for a steering box. My catalog shows that the part is only used on the 1936 cars. It was used on serial numbers between 01-15500.

I could not find a frame or steering  bolt as long as the one shown. The parts catalog does not show all of the parts used in production, only the ones available for replacement.

John, The bolt that you show on your first post is the correct item for a 1937 LZ and as far as I known for all LZ's 1936-39 and maybe later. I have restored two of these cars and a 1938 here in the UK and all had those bolts. The front section of the LZ frame is a "box section" with the steering box  bolted to the in-board side of the box. These special bolts go throught the outer section of the box and the shoulder on the bolts clamps against the inner part of the box section as the threaded part is taken up by the screw threads in the steering box itself. The bolt head simply sticks out of the outer part of the box section and allows a wrench to turn it.  Orignally there would have been spring washers under the shoulder on the bolt. Hope this helps but if it's unclear give me your phone number and a good time (USA time) and I will call you. The correct fitting of the steering box is a critical thing. Good luck.

Thanks Colin, since my last posting, I spoke with Ron Schneider, whose vast knowledge of these wonderful cars continues to simply amaze me.  He, like you, confirmed that YES, these bolts are original to the ‘37 Zephyr.  It is such a strange looking set up with the bolt heads sticking out from the outboard side of the frame about 1/2”.  When I first laid eyes on these, I said to myself, “that just cannot be right”.  I found no such spring washers inside, but I was not looking for them either.

I just put these original and very strange bolts back in where they belong.  Thanks again, hope you are going to jump the pond and be at Hershey this year.  Weird, but that’s why these cars are so fascinating.