Dangerous hydraulic jack

BuicksBuicks

I don't want to cause a huge controversy but I do want to raise an issue of safety.

Be very careful of these hydraulic jacks. Today was my first use of the jack, raising the body of my '37 Buick so that I could get underneath it. The car slid off of the jack twice after lifting the body/frame less than two inches. It didn't roll. The frame didn't bend. The pavement was flat. I was not underneath the car. This jack is simply unstable and unable to make a solid , safe contact to an automobile frame.

I've gone back to my screw jack.

Dangerous Jack.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mike6024 said:

It's missing a critical part. Don't know what it's called though.

Agreed, I'm not sure what the part is called either, but I've attached a picture with it circled.  You might have a different model, but that 'cup' is supposed to be on the jack you have.  Without that cup it will slide off every time.  Granted you never trust them anyway and only use them to lift and then secure with jack stands.

3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm sorry, but didn't you even notice the saddle was missing? That the jack didn't match the picture on the box? There's nothing unsafe about that jack when fully assembled and used per the instructions.

PD_0009_875_950115-12

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ALF1920 said:

Make sure that the tonnage rating is adequate to raise the vehicle.

It says 2 1/4 ton on the jack in the OP's photo.  That's more than adequate to lift one end of just about any car he has.

Back when I was still able to work under a car , before doing so I would try , and fail to push it off the blocks. I figured if I didn’t have the strength to knock it off , I wouldn’t be able to while working under it either.    - CC  

8893B795-F90A-4983-8519-3C4F563FAE19.jpeg

• Like 2

It's been my experience that you often need to use some kind of special adapter if using a floor jack for something other than lifting from a jacking point that's obvious on the vehicle.  Even for our MGBs we have to use a special adapter that fits into the saddle and better supports the car from the front cross member.  Adapters are readily available from Harbor Freight, Amazon, etc.  You should be able to find something that safely fits the frame.   Be safe.  It it doesn't look like it's going to work, it probably won't.

Terry

True enough, but as others have stated, that jack is missing a crucial part (the saddle), not anything special. I remember jacks like that. The saddle just lifts out of the hole you can see.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and there were not harbor freight stores everywhere with low clearance "racing" jacks perennially on sale, SOP on a really low car was to take the saddle off (so you could get the jack under), jack the car up maybe four  inches, set it back down on a wooden block, take the jack out, put the saddle back in, and jack the rest of the way up.

Yes, it is extremely unstable without the saddle.

I still wouldn’t use any Chinese jack........only top of the line jacks, jack stands, and all other safety equipment. Too many close calls and horror stories,  I will gladly spend the money. Yes, I have Snap On jacks and jack stands. Way overpriced, and worth every cent.

• Like 4

I would want a quality large frame.... more professional jack to lift a big car like your 37 Buick.

That jack is a little Alibaba import looks to me. Even with the small 3" saddle it looks scary to use under the big old heavy cars.

That little jack is made to lift up Corolla's and maybe even a Pinto.

I'd be careful with that little jack with the tiny saddle.

Cheap Import Floor jack.PNG

16 minutes ago, c49er said:

I would want a quality large frame.... more professional jack to lift a big car like your 37 Buick.

That jack is a little Alibaba import looks to me. Even with the small 3" saddle it looks scary to use under the big old heavy cars.

That little jack is made to lift up Corolla's and maybe even a Pinto.

I'd be careful with that little jack with the tiny saddle.

Cheap Import Floor jack.PNG

just read this Sears clipping. That is dangerous instruction and should be brought to the company's attention. It appears to be written by a catalog description writer with very little knowledge and potentially sealing the fate of the company in the event of a lawsuit.

When "it is time to crawl under your sports car" or any car, the beginning of the instruction should state the first step is to lift the car with the jack. You craw under a car that is supported by proper equipment. That whole statement starts out too ambiguous.

I have a jack like that in my garage, a Chinese something with a plastic handle grip between the fixed wheels. It serves a purpose. I think last time I used it was to raise a transmission an inch to get the rubber mount out. The space was tight and it was easy to swing around. I don't discount Chinese tools because of their quality. Actually, the quality is relatively good. The low cost comes from government support of manufacturers. The Chinese government knows it is better to give a manufacturer $1.5 million to undermine the US economy with cheap products than it is to buy a handful of Tomahawk missiles at the same price. And THAT is the real danger in those jacks, lots of other products, as well. They don't come right out and say that on the news and no one talks about it, probably should.

I don't buy much of their stuff, mostly for political reasons, but they are tricky. Sometimes it is hard to recognize a traditional American logo slightly redesigned, but that anime style box art pops right out at you. Maybe the cultural differences in advertising art will be the undoing. OR the US government could give Snap On one military tank's worth of credit towards a nice jack for us car hobbyists. There's retaliation, without risking an eldest son.

Strictly thoughts relating to MY car hobby.

Bernie

• Like 1

If you don’t know how to use a tool at least READ the instructions! I would bet it says “Do not use without saddle” or something very similar. Plus if you are working on an old car using a floor jack you better have jack stands properly set up under the car and by that I mean in the proper position under the frame not under an exhaust pipe. Not to disparage the OP but a quick look at the box would tell you something is missing. It’s time to take responsibility for your actions and not just blame the cheap product. I’ll get off my soapbox now that I’ve vented about people blaming everything or everyone but themselves. 

Have fun be safe

Dave S 

Yes the missing saddle is a major problem?   If you notice the saddle's mount (the saddle fits in the big hole), the mount with the hole then goes up pretty much level ; as the jack goes up, the mount pivots.

The jack is not intended to be used without the saddle.

Another thing also, maybe not in this case; but the jack must be used on a hard surface.  So one side or other or front or back of the jack doesn't sink into soft ground or even soft macadam.  I bought out a guy's workshop one day and one of these Chinese jacks was with the tools for sale.  The jack was twisted.  I first thought is was used for a load to heavy for it; but the guy said he was using it in his gravel driveway.  One side of the jack sunk in the gravel a little and the jack got twisted.  After seeing that, I only use one of my, 2 old Walker jacks around my shop. 

I know they sold a million plus of these little jacks; but they are not too sturdy; even if the saddle is is installed properly.

intimeold 

• Like 1

I have no problem with the Chinese jacks, because you should NEVER be under anything supported by one! And you should throw it away when it gets damaged. Harbor Freight jacks lift a car just like Snap-On jacks. No, of course, when it comes time to rebuild the Harbor Freight, one just buys another one, typically. Snap-On might get you service parts for your jack. I say might, because I now have Snap-On pneumatic tools that the company no longer supports. Not to mention battery operated Snap-On tools from 20-25 years ago.

I do use the Harbor Freight Hoist Stands with my lift. They are great. Nothing hydraulic to break.

Hey, Real, don't you know experience come from bad judgement? Ha!:lol:

• Like 3

I bought the biggest 120 volt air compressor from Harbor Freight, for a rented storage building.

Same compressor as Sear but 150.00 less and not painted red. 

I also own a very nice floor jack and large jack stands from Harbor Freight. 

Read the reviews.

I treat a jacked up vehicle like a loaded gun. It will hurt you. Or worse.

Bill H

• Like 4

You really have to watch the rating with hydraulic equipment such as Harbour Freight. Look at engine hoists for one. Is the capacity rated at the hook or at the jack itself. The further you extend the boom the less capacity it will handle. I am with Ed on this one and do not trust cheap hydraulic equipment. The same go for the sheet metal ramps. A friend drove his pickup on the ramps and went for lunch. When he came back the ramps had collapsed. By the way I believe all hydraulic jacks are now off shore including Snap-on.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I have wondered about the load ratings on things from China too. I have seen engine cranes that look identical, one cheap and one not so cheap. The member sizes and wall thicknesses are the same. The not so cheap one had half the rating of the other one. I suspect the Chinese rating is determined using different safety factors on the design load and we normally put an extra 0.5 or so in there. Getting something certified to our Standards raises the cost quite a bit.

As for jack stands, I've always used the type with the lever to release it back down. Been leary of them so I used other supports along with them. This winter I purchased 2 more. Now they are made with pins along with the familiar levers. What did that tell me? Some poor shmuck probably hit the release lever while the car was up. I don't think you can ever be too cautious when you're under a ton of metal. 

• Like 3

If you want something really scary, try one of those little screw type scissor jacks that come with your modern car in the tire changing kit. Had to change a tire on the roadside where the ground was not completely stable. The jack collapsed, dumping the car on its brake drum. Thankfully no body parts (mine) were damaged but a call to CAA/AAA was required to get us going again.Those things are really dangerous!

• Like 1

The jack that I originally posted about came in previously opened and taped shut. There was no instruction sheet. It is rated as 2 1/2 ton and my first application here was to lift the body by the frame high enough to place the jack stands. I would never tried to lift the entire front end or rear off of the ground with such a cheap device; it was intended for single wheel or body raising only. I've been using the same jack stands for 55 years. It was stupid on my part to have not realized that something was missing from the new jack, a dumb mistake not to be repeated.  I've always used screw type jacks but not the vertical type from the  20's or 30's. When I bought this hydraulic jack I put it in the Buick and the screw jack went into the Jeep Wrangler- another mistake.

2 hours ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

If you want something really scary, try one of those little screw type scissor jacks that come with your modern car in the tire changing kit. Had to change a tire on the roadside where the ground was not completely stable. The jack collapsed, dumping the car on its brake drum. Thankfully no body parts (mine) were damaged but a call to CAA/AAA was required to get us going again.Those things are really dangerous!

In some vehicle owner communities these jacks are known as "Widow Makers". Sadly,  there is a reason for that name.

If anyone reads Skinned Knuckles check out their opinion of Harbor Freight and the quality thereof. 

I have been a subscriber of Skinned Knuckles from back in the 80s. About the same length of time I have been a Harbor Freight customer!* I form my opinions from actual use of products. I like to read reviews, but sometimes reviews are painting everything under the same roof with a broad brush. SK's HF comment is one of those. Sure there are items at HF that should not be bought by anyone needing a tool that actually works well , but there are items that are really worth going there to buy! I list tool boxes as one of these good ones. 

* I am still using my HF 12 ton hydraulic press and tall drill press I bought in 1982/3. And they survived 13 years of employee abuse in the collision business!

I've been looking for a new jack since my old 3 ton Sears is leaking. Seems the new "3 Ton" are smaller and lighter than what I have. I think I will get this, mainly since it is MADE IN THE USA. Hein-Warner 2 ton $235. The 3 ton is $499.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=HEIHW93642

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200325577_200325577?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200325615_200325615

A Harbor Freight store opened on the south side of town last year. I always thought it was ironic that it is right next to the Chinese Buffet. I stop into the China Buffet for lunch every Tuesday. The food is pretty good.

Bernie

2 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

A Harbor Freight store opened on the south side of town last year. I always thought it was ironic that it is right next to the Chinese Buffet. I stop into the China Buffet for lunch every Tuesday. The food is pretty good.

Bernie

Don’t walk in the wrong door and order lunch, you may just get it!  

Dave S 

I find that the biggest critics of Harbor Freight are the people who have never bought anything from them. Do they sell crap? Yeah, some of it.  On the other hand, much of their product line is perfectly fine. I've got a very heavy duty transmission jack that I bought from HF over ten years ago for $150 that is still working great.  Replaced the ram on my engine hoist with an air-over-hydraulic one from HF and I love it. Their walnut shell blasting media (made in US, no less!) did a better job than the expensive walnut shell media I got from a brand name supplier. The list goes on.

If you lose sleep at night about the safety of their jacks, don't buy them.  The rest of us are just fine.  FYI, the incorrectly used jack that started this thread wasn't even bought at Harbor Freight!

• Thanks 1