Carter glass bowl filter

Jhm

If it's just one of those accessory fuel filters with the glass bowl, you can still buy those new at NAPA. They have multiple sizes, one should fit. These were not unique to any one year, make, or model, they were universal fit. 

There are also dozens available at any time on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1311.R3.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xcarter+fuel+filter+.TRS0&_nkw=carter+glass+fuel+filter&_sacat=0

• 2 weeks later...
On April 15, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Matt Harwood said:

If it's just one of those accessory fuel filters with the glass bowl, you can still buy those new at NAPA. They have multiple sizes, one should fit. These were not unique to any one year, make, or model, they were universal fit. 

There are also dozens available at any time on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1311.R3.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xcarter+fuel+filter+.TRS0&_nkw=carter+glass+fuel+filter&_sacat=0

Thanks!  Mine is a mesh screen material and I'm not seeing any similar on eBay or NAPA sites. 

Do you have a photo? I'm sure someone here can narrow it down for you. I don't think a fuel filter would have been OEM equipment in 1941, so whatever you have is probably an aftermarket addition. We'll need more than the year and make of the car to nail it down for you.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Jhm said:

Thanks. I can't figure out if this metal screen part is replaceable or if it is made as one piece?

I am tempted to replace the whole thing with a new one. 

Might be a good idea. There are new items on Ebay under "vintage Carter fuel filter".

Going by the 1950 Carter master parts catalogue, it recommends one of the ceramic-element filters for all Pontiacs from 1937-49. Either a model F827S (glass bowl) or a F862S (metal bowl), both with an inlet-oulet with a 1/8" fitting. It lists what the factory carburettor and fuel pump numbers are, but it doesn't say the fuel filters were factory fitted. The same filter is listed for most GM vehicles, as well as a lot of others. I've seen a few of these for sale before, and I don't think they're rare, although when you want one, then they're impossible to find. I've attached a photo of the particular filter.

If you're after a glass bowl to fit your filter, I -think- this is the type. It lists the dimensions to check against.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARTER-GLASS-FUEL-BOWL-FOR-FUEL-FILTER-HOUSING-MADE-IN-USA-NEW-23-27/382405894700?hash=item59092ae22c:g:tTgAAOSwKQ9aHwG9

DSC01353.JPG

JHM,

I am in San Diego Area and there is a Carb rebuilder that is the best.  He got me a Carter Unit as is illustrated above with a brand new (old stock) Carter element for inside of the fuel bowl.  No screen to let little particulate matter into your carburetor and I can visually see the condition of the filter media without having to drop the bowl.  With our crap gas today, it is important to keep the fuel system clean and if you do not drive often, treat the gas with Seafoam or other fuel stabilizers.  I got the Carter unit from him.  Not a knock off but a genuine Carter fuel bowl separator unit with a Carter media filter that fits inside of the bowl.  He rebuilt my 36 Pontiac carb and my 36 Plymouth carb. He serves the Antique Car market for carbs and fuel injection units of the early Chevys.  If it is fuel delivery to the engine, he is the guy.  He does work for clients all over the US. 

The gentleman's name is Stan.  His shop is San Diego Carburetor and he knows his s&#*.  If it is a carb or fuel system problem, he is the guy.  His address and phone number;

Stan Sawyer

San DIego Carburetor

6622 University Ave.

San Diego, CA 92115

(619) 265-2400

Hope this helps.

Randy

• 3 weeks later...