What does this 16" wheel fit?

38Buick 80C

This is a wheel I have had for some time. I believe it was on my 38-80C when I started to dismantle it (either as a road wheel or a side mount spare), but it is not a 38 wheel. As the 38's have a depression for the hub cap to seat in. I'm guessing 39 or 40 big series.

it's 16" x 5.5" with a 5.5" bolt pattern diameter.

And yes I'm looking to dispose of it so I'm fishing and eventually we can move this thread to buy/sell, but PM me if you are interested, but I have not researched a fair price on it yet.

IMG_20180414_175653.thumb.jpg.19aaf2d49a57ba8bef4dd89b9e2d2b74.jpg

I'm curious about what you have there as well.  I have three 15x5.5 wheels that are the same in appearance; no depression for the hubcap.  I was told this style belonged to Cadillac, but that is unconfirmed.

Not piggy-backing, mine are not for sale.

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, kgreen said:

I'm curious about what you have there as well.  I have three 15x5.5 wheels that are the same in appearance; no depression for the hubcap.  I was told this style belonged to Cadillac, but that is unconfirmed.

Not piggy-backing, mine are not for sale.

Well, dang Ken, buy Brian's and have a set.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

I can't find the reference, but I understood that the outer diameter of the tire on a 16 inch rim was the same as the outer tire diameter on a 15 inch rim.  What judge would catch that?

15 minutes ago, kgreen said:

I can't find the reference, but I understood that the outer diameter of the tire on a 16 inch rim was the same as the outer tire diameter on a 15 inch rim.  What judge would catch that?

Actually having recently seen 1941 15" rims sans trim ring I would say your comment is correct on the outer most diameter, but i would sat the difference is VERY noticeable. The "shoulder", if you will, is obviously 1/2" thicker and looked odd to my eye which is what then led to me noticing the lack of trim rings on the car and the ensuing discussion about how the owner had just found the 15" rims having to buy a whole car to get them (they were spare set the seller would only sell with the car). The second car has since been disposed of as I understand.

2 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Actually having recently seen 1941 15" rims sans trim ring I would say your comment is correct on the outer most diameter, but i would sat the difference is VERY noticeable. The "shoulder", if you will, is obviously 1/2" thicker and looked odd to my eye which is what then led to me noticing the lack of trim rings on the car and the ensuing discussion about how the owner had just found the 15" rims having to buy a whole car to get them (they were spare set the seller would only sell with the car). The second car has since been disposed of as I understand.

Max-Scherzer-Heterochromia-600x320.jpg.c7fc536ed8776602daccdab19c814e86.jpg

• Haha 1