Side view mirror code identification help

Lbcyasee

While cleaning out deceased grandparents garage I found a box of old mirrors, just the glass. Some rectangular etched 3-DMI-3, some round 4" etched CROMIR.

I've done some research but still have questions. Deduced the DMI code means they are Donnelly, made in March, but would these be from 63 or 73?

Is CROMIR even auto related?

Does just the mirror glass have much value? They are dual sided if that has any significance...

Grandpa used to work at an auto plant and I've heard you used to be able to buy surplus parts down the road

20180413_110417.jpg

20180413_110830-1.jpg

Edited by Lbcyasee (see edit history)

The round size was popular, prior to the '73 model year, on many GM pickup trucks, as the basic factory outside mirror, right and left.

The rectangular mirror would have been after that, typically, for many post-'72 vehicles.

In the later 1970s, GM did sell replacement mirror glasses to stick over the existing glass.  On the rh side, until the convex mirror became standard on the rh side, they had a stick-on convex mirror that worked just fine.  I got one for my '77 Camaro and it's still there.  The earlier rh convex glasses were thicker in the middle than on the edges.  Later convex replacement mirrors had a curved rear surface and matched the curved metal backing plate they stuck to.  The "replacement" glasses were in the normal parts listing.  The "upgrade" convex glasses were in the Accessories section.  I think those listings disappeared from the books after about '85?  Or by that time, no need to look for them?  

The later pickup truck/SUV chassis mirrors did have some replaceable glass panels.  The heated and dimming ones were over $200.00.  It was tricky to get these panels installed onto the motors, which we recommended that our service dept do rather than the customers try to do it themselves.

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, Lbcyasee said:

While cleaning out deceased grandparents garage I found a box of old mirrors, just the glass. Some rectangular etched 3-DMI-3, some round 4" etched CROMIR.

I've done some research but still have questions. Deduced the DMI code means they are Donnelly, made in March, but would these be from 63 or 73?

Is CROMIR even auto related?

Does just the mirror glass have much value? They are dual sided if that has any significance...

The question of value is so difficult to answer.  As usual, you need to find the market that wants that particular product, in order to command the highest price.  To do that you would need to determine just what exactly these mirrors fit,  and then appeal to those car owners.

The round one may have a bigger market in terms of someone looking for the "correct" mirror.  The rounds I've seen could have been used on a wide variety of cars.  I would say most any GM before 1968.  My 69 Buick used rectangular outside rear view mirrors.  I know the 68 Buick was similar but cannot claim direct knowledge of other GM makes or other makes altogether.  I will try to get a picture of my mirrors to post here a bit later.   It would help if you could post some pictures of the back of the mirror as I don't understand what you mean by saying it's double sided. 

• Like 1

Here are some (admittedly, poor quality) photos of my various mirrors. I'll have to take another look cause  I thought some had some codes, but only one shows a coded mirror.

Below is a Re-Pop sold by Bob's Automobelia for the '56.  Note the mirror looks like it is held in by crimped ends of the steel backing plate. The diameter to the outside edge of this unit is just over 4", so your mirrors could potentially fit.  But if the edge of the back plate is crimped over, there is little chance of changing this mirror for a new one.

0415181301a.thumb.jpg.04eb153da46dca79d0150051da6873c7.jpg0415181302.thumb.jpg.8102c99a351ed27abc1edca8b50c35a2.jpg

And below you'll see a remote control from the '69 Buick A body.  Note, I think these are also used on the big bodied Buicks too but have not researched that for a fact. With the mirror recessed into the pot metal housing I could not get a good measurement.  So I took the inside edges of the housing figuring the mirror would have to be smaller to fit in there with minimal clearances.  The housing measures 4.0 wide by 5.5 length.  I have had these apart before.  The mirror has a separate backer which will have three holes surrounding a pivot point. The three holes are for the three cables which attach to the backer and serve to manually move the mirror glass relative to the knob inside the car.  Your rectangular mirrors may be close to this unit.

0415181304.thumb.jpg.1f8486cf71c9b54bf37bf966dd9d7b2d.jpg0415181305.thumb.jpg.30d630571062d0e9bcef9e586f6b0345.jpg0415181306.thumb.jpg.e316d48ee009db97f5ec0a6c8a2a48cf.jpg

Below this is a manual mirror for the same '69 Skylark. This mirror in this unit is glued into the housing.   It appears to be 3.5" by 5.0"  This mirror will not have a backer, as it is just glued in.  However there may be a spacer on the backside which provides support for the center of the mirror against the back of the housing.   Your rectangular mirrors may match these too.  And if those sizes are the same I'd be interested in purchasing four of these mirrors.

0415181308.thumb.jpg.dd9d0c91bca59710775950716e076902.jpg0415181309a.thumb.jpg.a22cdb4fb723f29a4693a12d5047d6f8.jpg0415181308b.thumb.jpg.c6363b1b2a0ab0f139bb906332b36356.jpg

And the one below is from the  72 Electra.  I think the A bodied Buicks will use this same mirror but am not certain.

I did not measure this one but if you'll notice it is not rectangular. It's six sided and has rounded edges.  It's also the one which shows that code, DMI I believe.

0415181307.thumb.jpg.b5dad2579c8af3861227598327f01258.jpg

And in between all these there is the possibility of many more glass styles for the other manufacturers

When I say the mirrors are double sided I mean there is mirrored glass on each side. Maybe that is standard for auto mirrors. I have no knowledge of car parts, the only reference I have for mirrors is wall mirrors that have a flat grey color on the back. The etching reads in reverse on the "back side" implying to me that there is a "front side".

They are just flat mirrored glass. There weren't any housings, backing or adhesive so I don't know how they would attach. The rectangle pieces are tapered 5" at widest, 4" at narrow end. 3" tall.  See pic.

The round are actually 4-1/4" diameter mirrored on both sides with writing reading in reverse on "back".

Thank you for all your help so far.

Screenshot_2018-04-15-17-00-29.jpg

20180415_164455.jpg

20180415_165353.jpg

Edited by Lbcyasee (see edit history)