1927 packard

marc1122

That car's a joke. It's been sitting around for years. Just a 6-cylinder, appears to be indifferently restored, missing a rather expensive top frame and canvas, four wire wheels and a disc wheel spare (you'll be looking for four of one or one of another, and neither choice is cheap or easy), interior is vinyl and incorrect, and, well, shall I go on? Not much description--does it even run? If it's really a 4-speed, it has the wrong transmission in it, and if they can't even determine how many gears are in the transmission, can you trust anything else they say about it?

A late-model dealer who doesn't know Packards lucked into one, saw the name "Packard" on it, and decided it was a valuable car because he thinks Packard buyers are suckers (I think he started out at $110,000). It is not a particularly valuable car in any condition. It might a good project car that has decent paint and hopefully doesn't need expensive mechanical work. Buying it anywhere close to their asking price and you will be upside down before the check clears. For $50,000, there are a lot of more desirable Packards out there that don't need another big pile of money spent on them to still be worth less than you paid.

Does this help?

Hi Marc.

I own 1927 Packard touring 343-290 s/n 223163R. Mine was built for the UK market to compete with RR & Bentley, that's why the R on my serial number.

I viewed your prospective car; older Packards are simple & straightforward. I suggest the following. 1. If the radiator is chrome plated, it will have to be stripped and replated nickel; Packard wasn't into chrome in our vintage 1927. 2. DeLuxe model? My car had every conceivable option for 1927 because of being sent to England to compete; I never heard it termed a "deluxe." 3.Insure that the seller has the drum headlights. 4. I assume the "deluxe" included the windshield mounted small spotlights, and the tire air pump attached to the transmission. 5. Mine is not restored, it is 91 years original including the upholstery, so I cannot state what the restoration problems will entail. I can say that there are few advertised parts available as Packard support today starts about 1931. So much of my minor repairs have entailed machining the parts myself or having a machinist make the part. 6. Does the seller have the top frame and side curtains? If not, you'll have to find patterns, same for seats. 7. Does he have the spare wheel & carrier for the back of the car? The correct carrier may not be obtainable. 8. The price indicates to me that the seller is trying to recoup some of his restoration costs; very understandable. If he has all the above parts and missing nothing (bumpers, single taillight, etc.) make him an offer he cannot refuse.

All the best

Steve