Wheel bearing ??

ChrisWhewell

Howdy, I'm wondering what the symptoms of a bad front wheel bearing might be. At present, I have a clicking sound when slowing or travelling <20 mph, and when I put it in neutral, the clicking remains. Turning the wheel doesn't affect the clicking. Front end however, does "groan" at only certain positions of the steering wheel, when travelling 60 mph. I changed the right side driveshaft about a year ago incl. CV joint. maybe its a cheap one and wore out ? or, maybe its a wheel bearing ? 90k miles on the car. If I raise the front end and wiggle the wheel, if the wheel bearing is bad, will I be able to tell pretty easily ?? thanks a bunch !!

Edited by ChrisWhewell (see edit history)

My experience with CV shafts is clicking when turning the steering hard.   The ball bearing cage inside  will develop a crack between ball bearings and click under turning load.   Bad bearing is indicated by groaning noise that changes tone as speed increases/decreases.   The wheel/suspension assembly supported,  hand on top  and bottom of tire may have movement as it is wiggled from top to bottom.  Sometimes the bearing/wheel assembly is very hard to spin.  Experience this with my wifes Mountaineer.    Sometimes just spinning the tire/wheel assembly on the axles by hand one can feel the roughness of the bearing.   At 90k it is very possible the bearing is on the way out. 

Check all the brake components are tight.  Any metal shims that secure the pads are not clicking on anything.             

• Like 1

One other item,  how many miles have you put on the vehicle after installing the shaft?  Reason I ask, sometimes the nut that secures the shaft/hub bearing assembly is over tightened.  The results is a bearing failing quickly or very soon after.   I know...been there and done that. :unsure:   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

In order to get a proper perspective of the problem jack up one tire at a time by placing the jack under the lower control arm. Start the car and put it in gear (block the rear wheels) have someone bring the speed up to 15 or 20 M.P.H. and listen at the center of the tire. If it sounds OK then do the same to the other wheel. If a bearing is bad you should hear a growl. Also bring the speed back down to an idle and listen for a clicking. This should lead you to the problem whether it is a bearing or a half shaft.

A clicking noise has always meant to be a bad CV joint and a growling a bad wheel bearing. Wheel bearings are pretty easy and at the age these cars are a good idea to swap out.

I guess if you still have a noise after doing the bearings then you can continue the search...

Okee dokey, I drove the car and turned right, and it got louder so assumed it was left bearing. Changed left bearing, it helped a little but noise still there. Removed right frnt wheel bearing and yep, its shot, pretty bad. So after this morning I'll have two new wheel bearings, struts are < 1 yr old, brakes are fresh. Should be good to go for a little while. Front bearings are easy, I had them off the car in like 15 minutes.

• Like 1