Installing Seat Belts in my Zephyr?

John_Mc

Anyone have a tips on installing newly acquired seat belts in my ‘37 Zephyr Sedan?  First question is, I don’t see a space at the back of the seat where the belt can fit through and I sure don’t want to do any cutting if I don’t have to do so.  Am I missing something here?  Thanks in advance for all answers and if you have a picture of how you did yours, please post them.

If you're just holding the belts in with a large washer behind the sheetmetal floor, you may as well not bother. Do a search on this site regarding seatbelts and you'll find both pros and cons. Doing it right is difficult. Doing it wrong does nothing or, worse, adds a false sense of security and could expose you to liability if something catastrophic happens.

• Like 1

John, you are a big man and should have good support for the seat belts. The recommendations that I have seen call for at least 6 square inches of 11 gauge steel. You can make your own or buy them. The advantage of buying ready made ones is that the nut is welded on the plate for easier installation. The advantage of buying a piece of steel and making your own is that you can use the washers that come with the belt and have a stronger support.

Here is a site that sells the belts and reinforcing plates.

http://www.andoauto.com/AR6.htm

You can give these guys a call and ask their opinion.

• Like 1