Replacement coolant hose

Jmsanch

I have a 40 Pontiac Deluxe 28.  The ribbed coolant hose going from the thermostat housing to the top of the radiator needs to be replaced.  I found one for the 26 series which is the 6 cylinder, so not sure if there are any differences with this car being a straight 8.  Does the hose have to be ribbed, did it serve a purpose with coolant flow?  My two go to places have nothing for this hose, so hoping not sol on this.  

Ribbed hoses are an abomination.  Originally sold as a replacement for molded hose as the wire in the ribbing prevented the hose from kinking.  Also if used as a lowere hose it would not collapse under suction.  One thing the ribbed hose does is to slow down the flow of the coolant therefore contributing to overheating if you system is marginalized to begin with.

Ok thanks for the info @poci1957  I went ahead and ordered the hose from Pontiac Parts.  @Tinindian yeah I questioned that hose as well.  Especially since it was so hard to find, and every alternative didn't have ribs.  But, figured I would ask anyway just in case the ribs actually served a purpose.  

I have the ribbed hoses and planned on replacing them before summer. I thought they looked retro but in light of this conversation, I too think I'll be ordering the new ones from CPR if they are smooth wall. Who needs added flow restrictions?? I just remembered using the ribbed part of paper straws on my model cars as rad hoses!

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:53 AM, Jmsanch said:

Ok thanks for the info @poci1957  I went ahead and ordered the hose from Pontiac Parts.  @Tinindian yeah I questioned that hose as well.  Especially since it was so hard to find.........figured I would ask anyway just in case the ribs actually served a purpose.  

Good idea, hopefully you ordered the lower hose too to replace at the same time, the prices are reasonable.  As Tinindian said the ribbed hoses are considered a low-dollar off-brand replacement part; molded curved hoses are the proper thing to do if available, Todd C     

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered and received my hoses today in light of the conversation. Funny that they are identical but sold as upper and lower. Looks like they are oversized so you can trim to fit. They are curved and moulded as Todd mentioned. They seem rather flimsy. Will I have any collapsing issues? 

1 hour ago, Summershandy said:

......they are identical but sold as upper and lower. Looks like they are oversized so you can trim to fit. They are curved and moulded as Todd mentioned. They seem rather flimsy. Will I have any collapsing issues? 

Cut to fit is OK, tinindian is correct that cars often had the spring inserted in the hose to prevent collapsing under suction, see photo.  They have been eliminating them for years (probably to save a buck) and I rarely see them anymore; a quick search did not show them available separately from the parts stores.  Maybe someone else knows if they are available as a general replacement part, Todd C 

images.jpg

The hoses that came with the car are ribbed with springs inside. Because of your suggestion I went out to the garage to see if the spring can be removed from the ribbed hose....and it can by unscrewing it with help from needle nose vise grips and a shot of WD. I thought maybe they were moulded inside or something making them permanent. The old spring also looks like it can be fitted in the new molded hose! Hopefully there's no chance of the spring moving up or down the hose. The ribs in the old hose hold the spring in place. The old spring cleaned up nicely. Regardless, I think I can make it work. Thanks for the push. This is awesome news!

It is my understanding.. Working in the auto parts industry that they have done away with the springs inside molded hoses because they are no longer needed.. At least with a quality brand such as gates... All the hoses I have bought for my classics have been gates with no hint of a problem

28 minutes ago, 1956322 said:

At least with a quality brand such as gates.

I'm familiar with gates. My replacement hoses are stamped MADE IN THE U.S.A. and I cannot find anything more info on them plugging in all the numbers on the hose. When I replaced rad hoses on another rebuild I was doing, I had no concern on "collapsing" hoses. I'm starting to think, am I TOO concerned about it? It's just I don't know about the old straight 8's and how they act.  :wacko:

A hose that needs a spring in it to keep it from collapsing is a hose that should have been replaced.  Most hoses that are replaced are many many months or years past their best by date.