Jmsanch

Replacement coolant hose

I have a 40 Pontiac Deluxe 28.  The ribbed coolant hose going from the thermostat housing to the top of the radiator needs to be replaced.  I found one for the 26 series which is the 6 cylinder, so not sure if there are any differences with this car being a straight 8.  Does the hose have to be ribbed, did it serve a purpose with coolant flow?  My two go to places have nothing for this hose, so hoping not sol on this.  

Ribbed hoses are an abomination.  Originally sold as a replacement for molded hose as the wire in the ribbing prevented the hose from kinking.  Also if used as a lowere hose it would not collapse under suction.  One thing the ribbed hose does is to slow down the flow of the coolant therefore contributing to overheating if you system is marginalized to begin with.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the info @poci1957  I went ahead and ordered the hose from Pontiac Parts.  @Tinindian yeah I questioned that hose as well.  Especially since it was so hard to find, and every alternative didn't have ribs.  But, figured I would ask anyway just in case the ribs actually served a purpose.  

I have the ribbed hoses and planned on replacing them before summer. I thought they looked retro but in light of this conversation, I too think I'll be ordering the new ones from CPR if they are smooth wall. Who needs added flow restrictions?? I just remembered using the ribbed part of paper straws on my model cars as rad hoses!

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:53 AM, Jmsanch said:

Ok thanks for the info @poci1957  I went ahead and ordered the hose from Pontiac Parts.  @Tinindian yeah I questioned that hose as well.  Especially since it was so hard to find.........figured I would ask anyway just in case the ribs actually served a purpose.  

Good idea, hopefully you ordered the lower hose too to replace at the same time, the prices are reasonable.  As Tinindian said the ribbed hoses are considered a low-dollar off-brand replacement part; molded curved hoses are the proper thing to do if available, Todd C