Engine paint

McCargar

Get your buddy to send you a colour swatch from his can and take it to your local paint outfit and get a match. I did this. Try buying paint from USA in NZ!

What is "engine paint"? Just paint. It should not get over 100 oC.

In my opinion, near enough is pretty good. The paint on the engine in my car is a different colour to when I put it on - it has darkened in the 20+ years since it went on. Petroleum fumes and contact (petrol, oil etc.) plus heat cycles and oxygen and time changes it. So I laugh when I see arguments about engine colour. The only match is one off a new engine that has never run IMO and there are none of those. They are all 90+ years old on cars made in 1926.

• Like 1

Got the same issue with sending paints or any oder liquids from the US to Europe. I will use RAL 6006 grey olive to paint mine. Olive green would be RAL 6003. I decided to use 6006 after several test sprays with cheap cans in different olive greens. It appears a bit darker then 6003 and matches better. The only part I have in "original color" to compare is the cylinder head.

Regular paint is fair enough as long as you are not painting an exhaust or exhaust manifold. I painted several engines in the last decades with "normal paint". As long as you wait until it dried out completely it will resist to heat and engine liquids like oil or fuel. 

Same problem with my 1929. I will have to get details when it isn't past my bedtime, but I used an olive that was listed as an MG (if I remember correctly) colour. I should be able to verify and add a photo tomorrow when I'm on my computer. 

The problem is the paper work to get paint into Canada.  When I ordered, or tried to order from Hirsch he said he couldn't send individual orders and gave me the name of an automotive supplier in Canada that sold his paints.  I ordered my paint and was told it would probably take a month because they didn't have it in stock.  As soon as they had a shipment worth of paint it would be ordered from Hirsch and then sent o me when it arrived.  I actually only took four weeks.  I think hazardous materials have to come across the border by a container full???