No brakes on my 29' DeSoto,ugh!!!!

GaryBudd

Rebuilt MC,has been bleed.No leaks at wheel cylinders or any brake lines.Brakes adjusted.I can't seem to bleed them and I can't get back pressure on pedal.So frustrating,I have tried all kinds of bleeding but nothing seems to work.When pumped I do get fluid thru.

4 minutes ago, GaryBudd said:

Rebuilt MC,has been bleed.No leaks at wheel cylinders or any brake lines.Brakes adjusted.I can't seem to bleed them and I can't get back pressure on pedal.So frustrating,I have tried all kinds of bleeding but nothing seems to work.When pumped I do get fluid thru.

Are the brakes adjusted so that you hear a slight rubbing of the shoes on the drum? Can you describe your bleeding process to us?

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Brakes are adjusted.I have done two man,single type with soda bottle and gravity. fluid moves thru the tubing but never without pockets of air.I pulled the wheels today to check for leaks but didn't find any.No leaks under car.

Are you using regular Dot 3 or Silicone Fluid?  I would re bleed the master,  with Silicone you will need to bleed it slowly as it will develop air bubbles (foaming) if you bleed it fast.  lots of pumping of the master puts air in.  

As Keiser,  said I would double check your shoe contact to make sure it's not too far off. 

I put all new brakes on a 49 Chevy truck I had and bled the system but could only get a good pedal when I pumped the pedal ,  then would lose it.  It ended up being one of the wheels didn't have a tight enough clearance for the shoe to drum contact even though it felt right the first time as the brakes hadn't been applied hard to help square the shoes back up in the drums. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well today I pulled the MC again and tried to bleed  it again.I think I found my problem,it wouldn't bleed. Took it to a friend at a machine shop,he miked it up and found  it had an oval spot. Going to order a new one tonite.Thank you to all responses.

• Like 2