Fun with gauges, Buick E-49

Morgan Wright

The stack of ignition boxes came with the car. The rusty one on top was in the parts car, the other 3 were bought by the previous owner. Two are mint NOS and come with keys. I kinda like the one that says Buick on it. The original one is still in the car, so I know where the wires go when I get the harness. This basically means I have 5 of them!!

DSCN1863.JPG

P1040202.JPG

P1040206.JPG

First the clock. Spruced and cleaned.

The hands are missing, the main spring is detatched inside, the balance wheel ticks fine as long as I push the gear that would be pushing if the main spring wasn't broken. "Rim wind" works....for half a turn until the main spring slips again. The "rim set" works, you just can't tell because the hands are missing.

But it still works, because it's a Buick.

DSCN1865.JPG

Next the gas gauge, which was heavily rusted and encrusted. It took several soakings to get it apart, in kerosene which didn't work, solvent which didn't work, and finally acetone, which did, but who knows what else it dissolved? Then 2 or 3 soakings in vinegar to get the rust off. The paint on the dial face did not survive the ordeal. This is what did:

DSCN1869.JPG

DSCN1870.JPG

DSCN1874.JPG

Morgan,

Here is the dash of my E-45 built in '17.  The "pinwheel" in my oil gage is different than yours. Does yours have "ears" or did you just paint white stripes on it?

Also, years ago, someone made reproduction gas gage dials. Perhaps you can find one. But, the numbers and such on mine are not raised like yours.

DSC_4372.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 8:59 PM, Morgan Wright said:

Now the oil sight thing. The glass is broken so I have to fix it. Should I get new glass or should I use JB Weld on the old glass?

DSCN1866.JPG

Morgan, I f it was me I would use a clear epoxy.Most Hobby Shops have it and it drys clear. Jb Weld will make a mess of it.Of course new glass would be the best fix.

Edited by carmover (see edit history)

1 hour ago, carmover said:

Morgan, I f it was me I would use a clear epoxy.Most Hobby Shops have it and it drys clear. Jb Weld will make a mess of it.Of course new glass would be the best fix.

Come on, you should know me by now.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

Morgan,

Here is the dash of my E-45 built in '17.  The "pinwheel" in my oil gage is different than yours. Does yours have "ears" or did you just paint white stripes on it?

Also, years ago, someone made reproduction gas gage dials. Perhaps you can find one. But, the numbers and such on mine are not raised like yours.

DSC_4372.JPG

Don, I am 99% sure that your pinwheel is inside out. That leaves me with the 1% chance that I'm wrong, but I tried it both ways.....one the way yours is and one with the stripes out, and it works 10 times better with the two stripes facing out, when I put it to my mouth and blow into the top one, the thing spins real fast, but the other way it barely spins. And also, with the stripes facing out the ribbed part is lower and looks like it would catch more oil. I will take pics of mine both ways and post them.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hYdV6dEChE

In the above video you see, around 15 seconds from the end of the video, a 1915 Buick with the stripes out on his gauge, and his were both white so I painted both sides now. I guess it spins both ways but think it makes it easier to see it spinning with the white paint.

• Like 1

It has been many years since I have had the oil gage apart, but I dont remember the "ears". It may well be wrong. However, it does spin quite fast the way it is.

I do remember having a heck of a time to get it leak free, so I'm not going to take it apart to find out since it works well.

But you do have my curiosity up.

My clock works well and keeps perfect time. Runs about 6 days between windings. I have never done anything to it.

In looking at the photos here, I noticed the instrument panel on my E-45 is different from the E-49's. Indeed, the parts list shows 2 different panels. The clock was obviously added to my car, while the E-49's came with them.

Also, the "pinwheel" is shown with ears on the parts list, so mine is either in backwards or wrong.

• Like 1

Don, you are correct in thinking your 'pinwheel' is in backwards. I've just taken a couple of photos of mine in my 1918 E45... I've recently cleaned it out and replaced the cracked glass and it works fine now.

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

When you put it back together make sure you shellac the two fiber gaskets, and install them when the shellac is almost dry but still a little gummy. There won't be any leaks. If you can't find the 2 gaskets I found some cheap ones, like 40 cents each (in the photo).

I'm waiting for my optician to edge a glass lens of 3/16 inch thick Pyrex, exactly 1 and 11/16 inch diameter. This one is only temporary, made from some 1/4 inch glass I had, and I don't know how to work the edger it seems, because I'm not a real optician, I'm only an optometrist. It was the best I could do. Obviously 1/4 inch is too thick and the original was 1/8. They don't make 1/8 inch Pyrex. Really like the idea of Pyrex. Good enough for wood stoves, good enough for hot oil. And 3/16 should make it last forever.

DSCN1878.JPG

I know you have the remnants of the gage glass.

The glass from my parts car, that had been turned into a farm truck and was abandoned about 1932, is .125" (1/8") thick and 1.745  (~1-3/4") diameter. I beleive it to be original. The same as my E-45 glass.

4 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

Morgan,

I can easily scale this photo,  Thanks.  The ears look about the same thickness as the wheel thickness, is that so?

The ear is .754 long .191 wide and .015 thick. The width widens to .262 at the center.

The pinwheel is .750 diameter and also .015 thick

Thanks Morgan.  What I now have agrees with what you mention.

I have an adjustable face spanner wrench. With good gaskets I did get my gage leak free without  a heck of a lot of force. The spanner only has 2 lugs. My nut shows that it had been  "visited" by a pipe wrench for tightening.

I'm selling one of the ingition / light switch combination cluster, with ammeter. I don't need 5 of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/combination-ignition-light-switch-ammeter-buick-olds-chevy-1918-1917-1916-1919/192509966191

It's $150 for a lightly used one, the NOS one with keys I might just keep unless I'm coaxed into selling it, but it will be $ boo-koo. The other 2 are junk.

I finally got the oil spinner together. Finally, the optician reluctantly (they only make eyeglasses with plastic lenses these days and only the old timers know how to do glass or have the equipment) edged the glass to 1.710 inches and polished the edges, and "chem hardened" the glass. Crown glass is much stronger than window pane glass, but chem hardened it's almost unbreakable.

Before installing I thought I'd shoot some WD-40 down the copper pipes. The down pipe to the oil pan was clear and the WD-40 came out the pipe clean. The pipe to the oil pump....not so much. It filled it with WD 40 and none came out the other end. Think I need to remove the oil pump and get it loose. Then I'll send a coat hanger down the pipe and install the gauge.

Oil pump was fine, did not need un-sticking or anything. The WD-40 would not pass the oil pump because it was doing its job. Now that I think about it.....if the WD40 had got past the oil pump, that means it was broken!

What's this thing for?? A brass or copper insert into the block to decrease the diameter of the oil passage between where the two copper oil lines go. Like a shotgun choke. Only the 1917 has it, the 1918 doesn't, it has a smaller diameter passage in the block itself:

DSCN1915.JPG