Help with 1938 water pump repair kit

rodneybeauchamp

Hi All,

my ‘38 Special disgraced itself this morning by putting the fan into the radiator. It seems that the fan hub sheared off the pump.

After removing the pump, discovered that the hub appears pressed onto a sleeve or tube that then fits over the pump shaft. This seems a bit strange as I thought the shaft would be a single piece with the hub pressed on. Have enclosed photos and happy to submit more.

Can any one here recommend a supplier for a quality kit that I can install in my pump?

Also may need a fan and a fan pulls as they both look sad too!

Really puzzled how this pump has been put together, any insight would be useful.

cheers

Rodney ????????

E19F5CDD-D2D1-4F13-9A99-A527BE58FDF2.jpeg

7B0B8A5D-A507-421C-9E72-E4171895349A.jpeg

B031C7A5-6599-40BB-B309-50467901C05E.jpeg

C8A0B4E9-B324-4FF8-AA9E-0DE96E457445.jpeg

4E5EE3EE-EEB4-424D-9D6D-D6E90B2B7D77.jpeg

E4FFB3E6-CB83-4536-824E-5D56E9CA2E08.jpeg

• 1 month later...

My 39 Roadmaster did the same thing two years ago. My local mechanic had a supplier who rebuilt the pump with a sealed bearing.  Also, we needed to replace the radiator and chose to have one fabricated four rows deep, instead of three, to improve cooling.  It helped immensely.  Cost was about $1,000 for the pump and radiator.  You can remove the radiator without taking down the front sheet metal.  You pull the radiator up and over the engine.  Your mechanic needs to have very small hands to take everything apart in those close quarters!

Edited by BuickBob49 (see edit history)

Hi Bob,

thanks for your reply. Yes, my mechanic (me) needed to squeeze those hands in to do this remove and replace and to fit up the fan. Easiest approach was to stand on the front bumper bar protected by a blanket and reach over the grille. Found it best to install two studs to help align the fan until two bolts were in place. These were then removed to fit the last two.

Good news is a Buick guy in Australia was able to rebuild a later model pump with the single bearing kit and this is now fitted. Just need to fit the new bottom hose and some rewiring to get it up and running again.

It was a heartbreak ( and an expensive exercise) but glad I was able to fix it properly this time. No short cuts or cheap repair!

Sh@#$$&@t happens, it’s how you deal with it that matters!

Rodney ??????

Hmm, taking one step forward, two steps back. Great for dancing, but not when trying to get your Buick right.

Finally sorted out the bottom radiator hose as the new BUICK one from Bobs ain’t right for my Special. Ended up with a cut down Ford one that fits very nicely.

However, when adding water the drain cock would not seal so I need to remove that and rectify the drip, drip drip. However I will need to pull the radiator out rather than try to wrench it off that 80 year old outlet. ?????

And speaking of outlets, the bottom outlet looks very sad, after all this time it is very pitted and corroded. Needs some sort of fix to bring it back to size so it will seal properly .

So two issues to address, leaking cock and corroded outlet. 

Tis lots of fun when you think about it all ????????

Rodney